1986 Catalina 34' Main Cabin Bomar Hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

butyl tape --- pretty sure it was included in the text!  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

i just wanted to make certain you meant the glass that goes up, not the frame of the entire hatch
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Stu Jackson

The entire article was about rebedding the entire hatch, not just the glazing in the frame.  Weren't the pictures clear enough?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

anaisdog

i just looked at it, sorry.  any idea on replacing the glazing on the frame?  that's where mine is leaking, that grey foam

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on September 06, 2018, 10:29:59 AM
i just looked at it, sorry.  any idea on replacing the glazing on the frame?  that's where mine is leaking, that grey foam

From my reply #9 on page 1 of this very topic:

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 14, 2018, 09:12:00 AM

A couple of years later it started dripping again.  I used Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure on the port forward edge of the lens inside the moving top, stopped right away, hasn't returned.

You might try that first.

It also includes a suggestion to read Ron's other writeup, but that's a complete rebed job, too.

IIRC, there have been other posts on just rebedding the glazing.

Noah

I would recommend Dow 795 sealant to seat/bed the hatch lens.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

anaisdog

if the tube is still good, i have some of that. 

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Noah on September 06, 2018, 10:47:43 AM
I would recommend Dow 795 sealant to seat/bed the hatch lens.

Ditto, I bought a piece of new plastic from a local glass shop and used 795 after refurbishing the frame like Stu. I used Butyl to bed the frame and bought a length of seal from https://hatchmasters.com/hatch-repair/
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT