San Diego slips

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

Hello to all the San Diego members!  We are possibly relocating to San Diego and I would like to know what options are suggested to keep my boat. 

Thanks,

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

If you like Mission Bay, Marina Village is pretty Nice. I was there for Five years and was treated well.
It's been awhile since I was there but at the time we were paying about $500 per month.
It's about a four hour sail to get to the SD main harbor since you have to go off shore a bit to go around the kelp beds at the point.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Noah

All personal decisions:
1. Mission Bay leaves NO option other than to head to out to sea for any/all sailing.
2. Prefer San Diego Bay berthing; many options on Shelter Island or Harbor Island. South Bay (Chula Vista) is cheaper, but long way to go up the Bay to get to the ocean.

-Noah
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

If I copied the link at the end of this correctly, the site lists the marinas in San Diego, Coronado, and Chula Vista. Each has pluses and minuses. Mike commented on Mission Bay. Shelter Island slips are quick to the bay and ocean, seem to offer more amenities but cost more per foot than Harbor Island slips which are just a little south. I'm at Harbor Island West. Not a lot of frills but I like it. I've heard other marinas on Harbor Island are a little nicer. Coronado is upscale. Chula Vista is nice, lower fees but a long narrow haul to the bridge and SD Bay proper and the ocean. Like Noah said it depends on what you're looking for.

www.sdwaterfront.com/marinas.shtml

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

sailr4

Thanks for the replies.  I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for since the sailing will be so much different than the Chesapeake Bay.  We're not even sure if we are moving, but I wanted to get an idea of what I'm in for. 

Rob

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

KWKloeber

Another CTY owner:

About 20 years ago I helped a friend bring a Santana 30 up to San Diego from Ensenada.  He tried many marinas and mooring fields around the north bay and over in Mission Bay but ended up taking a slip in the Chula Vista Marina in the south bay.  At that time they were very accommodating and a lot cheaper than anywhere around S.D.

Bryant
Utah
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Another owner

second the recommendation for Chula Vista.  California Yacht Marina (CYM) Chula Vista is owned by the same family that owns my marina and I have to say it is the best run marina I've ever been in over 45 tears of boat ownership.

Check it out
https://cymchulavista.com/
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

sailr4

I definitely like the costs of Chula Vista better.  So how far down is it?  Can I sail outside of the marina or do I have to motor an hour up to the bay?

KWKloeber

Quote from: sailr4 on June 13, 2018, 05:45:20 AM
I definitely like the costs of Chula Vista better.  So how far down is it?  Can I sail outside of the marina or do I have to motor an hour up to the bay?

I fidnt pass this back to the left-gander on the other forum and I'm a right-hander.
I'd get my "bearings" looking at google maps or google earth is better.

-K

sailr4

Quote from: Jon W on June 11, 2018, 07:47:36 PM
Chula Vista is nice, lower fees but a long narrow haul to the bridge and SD Bay proper and the ocean.
www.sdwaterfront.com/marinas.shtml

this was the comment I was referring to when I asked about sailing outside the marina.

Rob

Noah

You can sail it. Some shallows and gerenally a beat going out, but there is a deep channel.
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18773.shtml
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

sailr4

Thanks for the chart!  That helps a lot.  Had no idea it was so shallow down there.

Rob

KWKloeber

Just got everyone's info, every noaa chart is available on line as a pdf and other firmats. You can view the whole collection and zoom in as far as you to find the coverage you need

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/InteractiveCatalog/nrnc.shtml

-k

awesome34

I have always found this price comparison helpful when investigating Marinas here: http://www.cvmarina.com/amenities-slip-fees/san-diego-marina-slip-fee-comparison/ 

In general, pricing seems to be based on a combination of convenience to the ocean/amenities. The more of some combination of those, the more expensive the marina. I am at the Marriott Marina downtown and it is expensive, but has a great location and, since I live on my boat, having a walk-able neighborhood is worth it to me, but if I didn't live on my boat I think I might pick a less expensive shelter or harbor island marina because it is more convenient to the sailing/racing events and services around here. Everyone has different priorities though...

-Eric

Jon W

Parking is also an important consideration for me. What I ran into was the marinas would list free parking, but there wasn't much of it. I recommend that you clarify that if you get serious.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca