Tuning my mast

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Hi - i've had my Cat 34 Mk II (hull 1494) for six years now and am still loving it.  In past years, I have stored it mast up for the winter.  This past winter I am in a new location and I required to take it down.  Fortunately there are a lot of people to help.  Got it down fine in the fall and its up again.

My question is around now tuning it (I have read the manual).  A friend told me the easiest way it to check that the mast is first centered vertically by measuring the distance with a halyard from the top of the mast to the rail on each side and adjusting the uppers slightly until it is the same distance.  Next he said to adjust rake with by tightening the backstay as needed and then adjusting the lowers accordingly.

Does this sound about right?  Thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Fred Koehlmann

Those are the general principals for everything from a dinghy to a keel-boat, but there are other things to consider depending on whether you have a furling foresail, deck stepped versus keel stepped mast, etc. Best bet I would say is to identify a local with a similiar setup as yous and find out what they do. Alternatively provided a more detailed description of you rig and setup.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but in the future, make sure that you mark your turnbuckles on all stays and shrouds before removing the mast. Then assembly becomes a much quicker process, and you only need to tweek it after a week or two of sailing.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

KWKloeber

Geoff

If you are needing to Dematteo every year, it might pay to buy a Loos.  Depending of course how "fine" you want the tubing?  Race?

Or buy a friend who has one.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Our rigs are stiff and simple.  Easy to tune.  The most important thing on our rigs is the forestay length, hopefully that wasn't adjusted.  I center the top of the mast by measuring the cap shrouds.  Then check that the mast is straight, port to starboard, with the lowers.  Then set the backstay as I like it.  Loos gage is good to get tension even, port to starboard, also to make sure things don't get overtightened.  Lots of good books on rig tuning.
IMHO The rig should be tuned/checked even if the mast didn't get un-stepped.  Also, the boat will flex a little between stored on shore and floating, it takes a little time to settle in.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Geoffreykwright

All - thanks for your quick feedback!

Fred - fortunately I did mark the shrouds where they entered the turn-buckles before taking the mast down.

Jim - thanks.  Forestay length was NOT adjusted - you can't get at the turnbuckle with the furling gear on...thanks for the tips.  I'll get the mast centered then adjust forestay.  I've heard of Loos gages - i'm sure someone at the club has one.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Ken Juul

There is a tuning guide somewhere on the site.  I printed it out years ago and keep it on the boat.  Try looking in the wiki or tech notes.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

KWKloeber

Good point Ken.  Actually do a search on the main page and there's several hits on guides.  THe Owners Msnual has info also.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sailaway

Easy way is stand at the mast and eye ball the sail groove it will tell you where you are at port to starboard. Also if your backstay is too loose the mast will pump at the dock in strong winds. Charlie