Just clearing my brain about the high-temp alarm

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Am I correct, on panels that have the circuit board that trips the hi-temp alarm, the circuit board can be checked by shorting the temp sender lead to ground?

The hi-temp alarm obviously doesn't sound at key-on (it's low temp), but shorting the sender should simulate a hi-temp condition (> 200 F, low resistance in the sender) and sound the overheat alarm?

Seems correct anyway?  Can anyone verify that?

cheers
-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Along the lines of clearing my brain, do any of y'all happen to know the close approximate measurement of the depth of the m-25 or XP oil pan?

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: KWKloeber on May 16, 2018, 03:11:29 PM
Along the lines of clearing my brain, do any of y'all happen to know the close approximate measurement of the depth of the m-25 or XP oil pan?

-k

Got it.  ~9.7 cm, fo' anyone who cares.  :thumb:

(Tnx whomever's photo that was.)

Dave Spencer

Ken,
I just arrived at my boat and checked the overtemp alarm condition you mentioned above. I can confirm on my M35A that shorting the sensor wire generates a high temp alarm. (On my boat, the light goes on. My audible alarm isn't functioning so I only got the high temp light showing.)  I trust this answers your question.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

Perfect Dave!
Just what I needed for someone else to troubleshoot their "high?" temp condition. 
I think the sender or board is bad, not the engine too hot.

I take it that you have the "temp" circuit board behind the panel, and either the circuit that fires the buzzer is fried, or the buzzer itself is fried.

ken

Ron Hill

Ken : I can confirm that the ground to sender will set off the PC Hi temp board alarm on my M25 XP and M25XPB engines.

In fact I wired in a momentary toggle switch on the engine pannel that way so I had a "Press to test" switch for my Hi Temp Alarm!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Thanks Ron.

Cool I'dea with the momentary switch.

The XPB uses a switch, instead of the gauge sender like the circuit board on the M-25/XP, so that doesn't factor into my wonderment posted below.  As I know that you know, the alarm is a completely different set up on the B, than it was on the original Seaward temp alarm.

-k