Drilling into ceiling to mount a projector

Previous topic - Next topic

SV Pretty Lady

Hi. I have an 88 Catalina 34 and I want to mount a projector on the ceiling. Unit and mount are approximately 15 lbs total weight. What am I drilling into? Balsa? Plywood? Best screw for what I want to mount? 
Thanks for any help.
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

Jon W

I don't know that a 15lb projector suspended from the overhead is a good idea. In the past when I've had structural questions I've contacted Warren Pandy at Catalina Yachts. Assuming he hasn't moved on, his email address is warren@catalinayachts.com. He doesn't always reply right away so you may have to try a couple times.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

SV Lady : The overhead decking is a plywood laminate.  I'd just make sure that when you mount your overhead projector it has at least 3 to 4 screws into that overhead deching.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

MarcZ

93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

SV Pretty Lady

Quote from: MarcZ on May 13, 2018, 06:51:15 AM
I must ask why projector and why 15lbs ? :shock:

The swivel mount is the heaviest part to the unit. It's metal, not plastic. I have an Optoma short throw gaming projector which enables me to mount the projector closer to the screen, if necessary. It's not a huge projector, but not compact, either. I like the set up because I can take the projector and screen down out of the way when I need to. Easy storage.

Ron, good to know about the core. I assumed it was balsa.
Thank you for the email link, Jon. I will try to contact him. I am learning about my boat. It is my first sailboat and my first experience with sailing.
I'll be living on it full-time end of June.
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

Stu Jackson

sv, one of the approaches I have always taken with my boat is to try to figure out alternatives to drilling holes before I do anything.  In addition, one of the other things we have always counseled for new-to-them boat owners is to WAIT for a while before they make modifications for any reason - Live with things first before making changes.

Given those concepts, and your description of your equipment, you might want to begin to consider if (I say, if) there is any way you could find a somewhere that you could place the projector so that is would be high enough to project on the screen.  For example, the counter just aft of the nav station is the highest horizontal surface in the saloon.  Would it be possible for you to test it as a location by simply placing it there on a stack of books, for example, to see if it would work?  If so, you could fashion some kind of more permanent support for it.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

SV Lady : Have you looked at the later modification of the shelf over the fridge/counter op that the MKII came with.
If you look in the old Mainsheet tech note I wrote an article where I added that shelf to My 1988.  I used it for dishes/drink glasses.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

SV Pretty Lady

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 13, 2018, 12:53:04 PM
sv, one of the approaches I have always taken with my boat is to try to figure out alternatives to drilling holes before I do anything.  In addition, one of the other things we have always counseled for new-to-them boat owners is to WAIT for a while before they make modifications for any reason - Live with things first before making changes.

Given those concepts, and your description of your equipment, you might want to begin to consider if (I say, if) there is any way you could find a somewhere that you could place the projector so that is would be high enough to project on the screen.  For example, the counter just aft of the nav station is the highest horizontal surface in the saloon.  Would it be possible for you to test it as a location by simply placing it there on a stack of books, for example, to see if it would work?  If so, you could fashion some kind of more permanent support for it.

Good luck.

Yep. That is why I am hesitant to drill into the ceiling to mount the thing. Don't want to unless I really have to. The screen, which is 50", sits nicely on top of the cushion behind the galley counter. I can prop it up with a water jug or something similar behind it on the counter to keep it stable. I haven't tried to set it on the cushion closest to forward....I will try it this week. Then I could put the projector on the counter.

Ron...I haven't checked that out, but I sure will try to find the tech note as a shelf would be nice.
1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

Stu Jackson

This is another one similar to Ron's idea:

http://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/galley_shelf.html

I used the Knowledgebase spreadsheet, under the galley topic.  Try the wiki under interiors, too.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

Boy, this is a new one.  Whatcha got going on in there that you have a FIFTY INCH screen?  WOW.  Is this a Russian hotel video sting.   :donno: HA! 
Inquiring minds REALLY want to know.  :shock: :shock:

As far as the projector weight factor, there should be no structural problem. (Obviously, you can stand ATOP the deck so it will support the small additional weight UNDER it..)

It's just a matter of using enough fasteners so they don't pull out of the core.  That shouldn't be an issue if it's meant to mount underneath something else there should be enough mount holes provided (or drill more.)   From your post, am I correct that you will be in place only at dock/on hook; removed otherwise? Otherwise a couple thru fasteners with butyl/finish washers on the deck?

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Drilling up needs careful consideration, as do any holes.  Depending on where you plan to put the rig, there's various "stuff" above that should be planned for.  Things like the sliding hatch and the hollow area underneath the cowl vents and the traveler.  It sure looks nice and even from down below.  :thumb:  I'm sure you're on top of all of that (pun intended! :D :D :D).   8)

Based on the weight, thru bolts may not be necessary at all.

Good luck, please keep us posted on your progress.

SV Pretty Lady

I don't want through holes, so that right there would be a deal breaker for a ceiling mount. When it rains, I've got water leaks from every window, hatch, failed mast boot, some factory ceiling through bolts, both dorades, mystery leaks in the head, and two small holes the po drilled through the deck but forgot to fill back in. Where I want to mount on the ceiling is one of only leak free zones on my boat. But I hope to remedy the leaks soon.

Unit will be removed anytime I take it off the dock or anchor.

KW...50" screen seems to fit well. It's light and rolls up out of the way. Great for PS4 and DVD movies when I want to zombie out and stare at a TV screen.

1988 Catalina 34
Universal diesel

KWKloeber

Lady

I feel your pain about leaks and no thru fasteners. 

The bright side is, once you fix your deck leaks correctly they'll never leak again. I fixed a few and a leaking pedestal base that have been leak free for 25 years. Still have others to do, tho.

It takes about 2x as long to do it correctly and avoid any leaks or core rot.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

The structural question is not about the static load of the projector. It is about the dynamic load expected from the projector while underway in rough conditions/pounding (1.5g, 2g, ?), the composition of the overhead (voids?) to handle the loads in those conditions, the tensile stress area of the fasteners to verify there's adequate solid material to mitigate tear out, etc.. That's why I suggested Warren.

SV Pretty Lady your last post says it will not be installed while underway. If only in a slip and not anchored, the dynamic concerns are much less of a concern.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca