Ocean Cruising

Previous topic - Next topic

rykar

Are there any articles outlinig the ability of a C34 cruising offshore? I am thinking about the Bahamas to the BVI's going offshore for a few days but always within 300 miles of some type of land. I have offshore experience but with a bigger boat and wonder how the wing keel might perform. Wing keels generally do not lend themselves to ocean sailing and that's what we have.

vmenasce

I wouldn't have any concerns with taking a Catalina 34 offshore. The vessel is stiff, heavy, and the hardware is conservatively sized. The main problem with a medium sized boat like ours is the water line length relative to the wavelength of an ocean swell. A longer boat will track better in a quartering sea. Nothing that a little extra steering and a little extra time can't overcome.<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> br

I've found that some anchorages can be quite rolly in some boats. I can't explain why, but I've found the wing keel to be well behaved in anchorages where other boats are rolling like the pendulum in a koo-koo clock. <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> br

The shoal draft in the bahamas will be a great asset, provided you don't run aground. Otherwize the wing can behave like a plow anchor with excellent holding power.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> br Go forth and explore. I'm sure you'll join many other C34's that have ventured off-shore.