Fuel Pump 101 UPDATE and CRITICAL QUESTION

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

Stu

I did in fact see that thread but found it confusing as the email from Marti Chin at baymarinediesel did not reference a specific model pump in his statement about pumps failing.  He also referenced 'cheaper is better' , which made me think he was stating that the 610-1051 had better reliability, since it is so much cheaper. 

Can you clarify which pump he is referring to when he says they all failed and which pump he is recommending?

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Stu Jackson

Roland,

I don't know what Marti may have had in mind.

But I kept reading the posts on that topic when I found it yesterday, and would follow our Technical Editor John Nixon's guidance in his excellent post further down the page. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

For anyone who has replaced the oem lift pump with a new "electronic/solid state" Facet -- have you noticed whether the new pump continues to click away at the same quick pace after (presumably) the fuel delivery has been pressurized (ie, key on, engine off, bypass closed.) 

The oem would slow down to a near stop, but someone else reported that the replacement Facet (aka Purolator) continues to click away at the same quick pace no matter what.

Has anyone specifically noticed that?

tia
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Ken : I talked to the engineers that make Facet pumps about the "new electronic/solid state) pumps both round and square.  He told me that it was the elimination of the "points " that would open/close that is solid state, but the pump was still mechanical so you still heard the "ticking" sound.

I believe that the pump ticking(pumping) slows to a steady pace when the pressure in the line stabilizes. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Thanks Ron!
That explains the one nagging question about the new pumps. I'm thinking maybe the guy who has the constant fast ticking has a vac leak.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

QUESTION ANSWERED!
Received today from a brethren:

Today I spoke with the technical expert at Facet/Purolator regarding my new fuel pump (model MMDW412496).
He told me that the old Facet pumps did slow down in the clicking rate as the system became pressurized (something we on this listserve knew).  In 1996, the circuit board in the fuel pump was changed, and that now in models produced since then the pump runs continuously, even when the system is fully pressurized. 
As a consequence, the clicking remains at a high rate all the time. 
If one listens carefully, one can notice a change in the sound quality as pressurization occurs, but the clicking rate itself doesn't change.

Bob

Cheers
Ken