Stemhead Fitting Rust

Previous topic - Next topic

WTunnessen

I've noticed some rust along the slide of the stemhead fitting and some rust streaks.  See picture.  I recall reading that the bolts should be removed, inspected, and probably replaced.  But I am wondering if the entire fitting needs to be removed and re-bedded?

Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Noah

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned, but would check the inside for signs of leaking. Perhaps easier said than done. Others will surely chime in with an opinion.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

SS does rust a little.  Treat the rust with FSR (works on both the metal and the fiberglass).  See if that removes it first.  Noah's right, check inside, too.  You might need to remove the Beckson plate and use a mirror and a flashlight.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

If you have a MK 1, you can also remove the cushions and large cover to look under the v-berth. If there is a leak at the stemhead fitting, the water will collect on the hull centerline at the bulkhead where the drawer is.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

WTunnessen

Everything looked fine on the inside so I'll consider this cosmetic.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD