sikaflex 291 70ml tube

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

before i go an buy sikaflex in 70ml pouches from the UK, I'm curious if anyone has been able to find them here in the US anywhere?

according to this

https://usa.sika.com/en/group/News/2017-Sikaflex291i-Available-Nationwide.html

i should be able to find them here in the US.  West Marine has it listed on their website, but it's no longer available and google doesn't return anything in the US.

i'm going to need some soon for jobs, but not 10oz at a time and having just thrown away another cartridge that froze up on me, smaller tubes are in order.

i sent sika message, i'll report back if anyone responds.

1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Roc

What are you planning on using this for?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

mdidomenico

Quote from: Roc on April 30, 2018, 10:12:14 AM
What are you planning on using this for?

bedding thru-hulls

to update further.  i've not heard back from Sika on where i can purchase the smaller tubes in the US

i did find one boat supplier that had them listed online forsale, however, after the order went through the vendor called and said the product has been discontinued.  I'm not sure if the "discontinued" part comes from the supply chain or Sika themselves, but that might explain why I can't find it anywhere.

i guess i'll have to see which i dread more, potentially wasting a big tube of 291 or using the dreaded 4200...

DaveBMusik

Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

The question (and only you can answer this) is there enough that you can group the work and get the biggest bang out of a cartridge?  I typically figure that convenience tubes are about 2/3 the cost of a cartridge -- is that worth the premium?  It is to me if it's a one-up project because any adhesive/sealant like that is going to continue to cure.  But if I am going to catch another project before the cartridge goes south, then it's more economical to go that way.

What say you?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

J_Sail

Not to throw a curve ball, but you may want to consider 3M 4000UV. It is a polyether-based sealant that has adhesion characteristics somewhere between 3M4200 and 3M5200 for most materials. It has a wider range of substrate compatibility than most polyurethanes (4200/5200) and is resistant to UV, making it suitable above the waterline, as well as below. It also is vastly less toxic,  and less likely to cause skin reactions if it gets on your hands.

At some point in the past, 3M did not rate it for below waterline use, but they do now.

Unfortunately, it tends to be slightly more expensive, so a 3oz tube may not save you anything versus a full 10 oz cartridge of Sikiflex 291.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Hybrid-Adhesive-Sealant-Multiple/dp/B00VFIQNUC

mdidomenico

Quote from: KWKloeber on May 01, 2018, 08:47:50 AM
The question (and only you can answer this) is there enough that you can group the work and get the biggest bang out of a cartridge?  I typically figure that convenience tubes are about 2/3 the cost of a cartridge -- is that worth the premium?  It is to me if it's a one-up project because any adhesive/sealant like that is going to continue to cure.  But if I am going to catch another project before the cartridge goes south, then it's more economical to go that way.

What say you?

i try to batch up the work, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.  i plan and plan, but sometimes the wrench smacks me right in the head.

but i'm also a newbie when it comes to some things.  often in the past i've planned to do something where i'd use up a whole tube and not worry.  but usually i go to do the first one and realize somethings wrong and can't adjust my path.  now i've lost an entire tube.  in this circumstance paying a small premium for smaller tubes pays off. 

plus it's less waste, which irrespective of cost, is always a plus