Anchor Light Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

I was up the mast trying to remove the original anchor light and it would not lift off. Has anyone done this job without removing the mast cap? Is the wire just that tight? I feel like I'm overlooking something. 3 screws. Loosen base. Lift up to disconnect wires.
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

rmbrown

If you got those screws out and the base is loose, it must be the wire is short.  I'm guessing if you open it up, though, you might find a knot tied in the wire once it is inside the fixture.  Try disconnecting the wires inside the fixture, untying that knot and lifting the fixture off.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

sailr4

Thanks.  I searched Anchor light for hours (slow connection).  Finally found under "Mast Light":

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6007.msg38353.html#msg38353

I think this answers most of my questions, except, why didn't they leave extra wire above the knot? The more jobs i do on this Catalina, the more I lose faith in the intelligence of Catalina.

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: sailr4 on April 24, 2018, 04:12:22 PM
Thanks.  I searched Anchor light for hours (slow connection).  Finally found under "Mast Light":

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6007.msg38353.html#msg38353

I think this answers most of my questions, except, why didn't they leave extra wire above the knot? The more jobs i do on this Catalina, the more I lose faith in the intelligence of Catalina.

Sorry it took you so long.  It's enough to make one wanna write to your CongressCritter about Net Neutrality!!! :clap :clap :clap

I admire the intelligence of Catalina in making a boat where you can at least access everything.  Ever try to check the oil level on a Beneteau 35?   Gruesome, requires removing the cushions in the aft cabin to even get to the wall you have to remove to get a peek.

Count your blessings.  :D

Plus, who knows what the PO may have done.  Not fair to blame the builder...

When I bought our then-12 year old boat in 1998 there was horrible mast slap.  I have NO idea how the PO ever stayed down below, even in a protected slip.  Turns out the OEM wiring for the basics, most likely done by the dealer, ran the wires OUTSIDE the conduit in the mast.  Sheez...:D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Rob

Realize some things are designed-in snafus. Others just the "technician" who were probably paid just enough to keep them working there.

My OEM exhaust hose had a complete 360 circle loop in it (hidden, it runs below our ice box.). I attribute that to it coming off the end of the coil and the "technician" being too lazy to cut off the excess.  Or maybe it was a Monday or Friday?

Gerry D said, "No, there's no reason for a loop."
Not,"Sorry. The tech must have had a hangover."
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sailr4

It's a great boat for sure.  It's just the little things underneath that make you scratch your head and say WTF were they thinking.  Another example: they taped the main electrical cables running off the battery switch together so they could lead to the batteries.  Now I can't replace one with out replacing All. They definitely keep the boat jobs interesting.

KWKloeber

That's an odd one Rob. Well, for me anyway - don't know if taping is typical on the 34. When I run across a WTF on the 30, it's typically a shortcut/ money cut, vs. putting additional work into something.  Anyone can screw up, but should admit and stand behind it, and make it right on their dime, not send me a diagram how to fix THEIR error on MY dime.

It's sad when we have allowed ourselves to become conditioned to gauge "quality" by who makes more WTFs or worse ones.

Off soapbox.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Rob : Unfortunately, when they installed that anchor light someone didn't leave slack in the wire between the knot they tied around the mast cap bolt and the fixture.  Hopefully you might be able to destroy the fixture and have enough wire to splice (& shrink tube cover the splace) on a 6 inch piece of wire for a new fixture.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788