Nav Station Hanging Locker Storage Ideas

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

if you've done anything to improve the storage of your nav station hanging locker, like putting shelving in or something, can you post pictures?  i'd finally like to check that off my "todo" list and it's not as easy, at first glance, since , at least on my hanging locker there is 12 inches opening but 15 inches, in the cavern, and completely weirdly shaped.

thanks

becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Dave Spencer

Becki,
My previous owner installed a rack of wire basket drawers which serve us very well.   The attached picture only shows the upper portion (I don't have a picture of the whole thing).  We use this for stowing provisions for our longish cruises in the North Channel of Georgian Bay.  I have the shore power battery charger and solar panel controller mounted behind (outboard of) the racks so they are easy to access by sliding a couple of baskets out  This makes very good use of the space in my opinion and they are light, inexpensive and don't allow for any damp and dark corners in the locker.
Good luck with your project.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

anaisdog

THAT is so cool!  i was thinking I'd have to do something drawers but that is a great idea and i'd be able to get to my battery charger with bins.  thank you very much!

anaisdog

how heavy of things can you put in there?  i wanted just winch handles, manuals, and then random light storage stuff but was curious. thanks again

-becki

Dave Spencer

We fill the heaviest drawer with food that can be fairly heavy. I would estimate the heaviest drawer holds about 20 lbs when it's full. You'll have no trouble with winch handles and manuals. 
I recall that there is a manufacturers marking on it but I don't recall the details. It will be a couple of weeks before I get back to the boat but when I do, I'll make a note of who made it and get some pictures showing how it is secured in the locker. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

anaisdog

Jon W

There are a couple more examples in the Tech WIKI under storage; hanging locker upgrade.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

anaisdog

thanks.  now that i know what to search on, i will do that!

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Here's what I did.  Theses are almost 20 years old.  I remember I bought the sliding baskets at Home Depot.  They still have similar types.  Go to the storage section. I believe these are Closet Maid.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

anaisdog

how are they secured to the locker?  thanks!

anaisdog

and Roc, is your hanging locker wood, inside?  are they shelves directly connected to the locker or are they on wood strips then the locker? thanks

Set2sea

It seems as though the configuration or design of the locker has changed on the new boats. It seems like the door frame opening on an 1988 leaves a good 1 ½ to 2" flange from the door frame edge to the inside locker wall.
When I did mine over and went to put 3 pullouts in as others have done, I thought about all the space I would be giving away on the top shelf because the basket width is a good 4" less than the inside of the locker. So I put a solid fixed shelf in the top and store all of our pots and pans, except for tall pasta pot. I find the pots and pans are easy to reach for and pull out on the fixed shelf. I did go for a pullout basket for the second shelf down. I want to say that I left the bottom alone for dust pan, pasta pot and some other taller cleaning bottles. Again, not wasting that space at the bottom of the locker (if you have a shelf there). I am very happy with the storage space I have in that locker now.
Having said all of that, the 3 pullout pictured looks nice.
I will get aboard, take pictures of my set up and post.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on April 20, 2018, 05:49:12 AM
and Roc, is your hanging locker wood, inside?  are they shelves directly connected to the locker or are they on wood strips then the locker? thanks

Zoom in!!

You can see the wooden cleats on the sides. And the flat bars on the basket assembly ( typically screwed through when installing in the base o r onto shelves of kitchen cabinets.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Great Idea! We 3 plywood shelves, and it sucks having to duck down and reach all the way back. Those baskets look ideal!

Looked on the web found these:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177606/ but I think the locker is only about 12" wide (guess) on our 1987 Mk 1.

Perhaps: http://a.co/etQdtQW

Still looking. I'll have to measure the opening.

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP