Is the c34 right for us?

Previous topic - Next topic

girmann

We are looking at wing keel Catalinas that can fit four adults and we're looking at the c34 as one of the options. We're upgrading from the "larger on the inside than the outside" c28. Are we barking up the wrong tree?

Needs:

• Large cockpit for entertaining while under sail (6 adults)
  • Wing Keel (we want to stay in the same slip (5' draft, max)
  • Single handing possible
  • Wheel steering so guests can "sail"
  • Practical storage (cockpit and galley)
  • three sleeping areas
  • Sitting area and bench (for the dog, of course!)

I realize asking this of c34 owners is a little biased, but there is a distinct lack of decent boats in my area right now. The choice is to wait until one becomes available or look at something else.

Proud owner of hull #1488

KWKloeber

G man

I am not a c34 owner so I am COMPLETELY without bias. Ha!

We chartered a 34 with another couple for a week and the accommodations were perfect (so long as you're not used to a suite in Trimp Tower.). It's a GREAT all-around boat with best of all great support from owners. You're at the right tree or fire hydrant (if pooch is a male.)

On the cruise we entertained 2-3 others who were along with a trawler. Enough space so long as weather permits entertaining on (in?) the sunroom.

Personal likes and requirements differ, but IIWMD, I personally wouldn't hesitate owning an in-good-condition C34. 

Ken
'84 C30 #3573

PS there is NEVER enough storage on any boat, but I've found ways to augment the OEM on the 30 with not a ton of money into the mods.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

The boat meets all your criteria.  We like ours, have had her since 1998, almost 20 years.  I'm somewhat biased.

As we've mentioned here and on other boating forums, if you find a boat you like, then the next step (after checking the condition, considering an offer, doing the survey and all that "buying" stuff), is to see if there is a good owners association website so you can avoid reinventing the wheel.

You've come to the right place.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

I agree meets all points, except 6 guests (and the dog) in the cockpit on the Mark 1 is a bit "cozy".
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

girmann

Quote from: Noah on April 13, 2018, 10:50:42 AM
I agree meets all points, except 6 guests (and the dog) in the cockpit on the Mark 1 is a bit "cozy".

Believe it or not, the dog is okay with being down below under sail. I was looking at the Mk1.5 and MkIIs cockpits and they look like they can fit a ton of people. I'm not sure if there are any options for a larger cockpit without looking at boats that are way out of my price range. Thanks for the feedback.

girmann

I have to say, I thought the C28 IA had a good handle on the technical aspects of the boat. HOLY COW! It's like drinking from a firehose in here!

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 13, 2018, 10:03:16 AM
The boat meets all your criteria.  We like ours, have had her since 1998, almost 20 years.  I'm somewhat biased.

As we've mentioned here and on other boating forums, if you find a boat you like, then the next step (after checking the condition, considering an offer, doing the survey and all that "buying" stuff), is to see if there is a good owners association website so you can avoid reinventing the wheel.

You've come to the right place.  :D

Fred Koehlmann

The C34 basically meets your requirements (we had a C34 MkII), depending on what your expectations are, but you probably have that already in mind. Three sleeps areas if you count the dinette area. I grew up on a Grampian 26 with a family of five, but it was like camping on the water. So when we had 6 on the 34, no problem from my perspective. but it was a bit more like "camping" again. Don't have a dog. My kids are animal enough, LOL.

We found the cockpit plenty big enough, and the storage adequate for our needs. The wing keel is amazing, allowing us to get into anchorages that few other boats our size could get into. Yep, she was a good boat.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

You're welcome.

You may also be interested in this archived page, for a couple of reasons.

First, the top two topics are about looking for and why we chose our boats.

Second, the list itself shows the beginnings of what turned out to be this very website.  It started out with static pages, then we got the forum software and then we started the wiki.  We're very good at keeping track of good ideas and fixes.

Happy hunting, hope to see you back.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

girmann

Which archived page? Did you mean for there to be a link?

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 13, 2018, 12:45:12 PM
You're welcome.

You may also be interested in this archived page, for a couple of reasons.

First, the top two topics are about looking for and why we chose our boats.

Second, the list itself shows the beginnings of what turned out to be this very website.  It started out with static pages, then we got the forum software and then we started the wiki.  We're very good at keeping track of good ideas and fixes.

Happy hunting, hope to see you back.

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Ron Hill

gri :   Needs:
         Large cockpit for entertaining while under sail (6 adults)  The C34 will hold 6 adults, but you'll find  that's about 2 toooo many - under sail!!
         Wing Keel (we want to stay in the same slip (5' draft, max)  The C34 wing draws about 4'6" when loaded
         Single handing possible  No problem - if you have an auto pilot and lazy jacks/in the mast furling
         Wheel steering so guests can "sail" Even "Guests" will need some amount of training
         Practical storage (cockpit and galley)  Great storage for the long weekend!!
         three sleeping areas  If mixed adults are using all three sleeping areas, I'll guarantee that after a long weekend you won't be talking to each other anymore - unless they are all guys!!
         Sitting area and bench (for the dog, of course!)  "I've found that older dogs don't like to have a boat heeling and their paw pads are hard so they lend to slip/slide

A few of my thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

girmann

Thanks Ron!

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 13, 2018, 04:55:10 PM
gri :   Needs:
         Large cockpit for entertaining while under sail (6 adults)  The C34 will hold 6 adults, but you'll find  that's about 2 toooo many - under sail!!
         Wing Keel (we want to stay in the same slip (5' draft, max)  The C34 wing draws about 4'6" when loaded
         Single handing possible  No problem - if you have an auto pilot and lazy jacks/in the mast furling
         Wheel steering so guests can "sail" Even "Guests" will need some amount of training
         three sleeping areas  If mixed adults are using all three sleeping areas, I'll guarantee that after a long weekend you won't be talking to each other anymore - unless they are all guys!!
         Sitting area and bench (for the dog, of course!)  "I've found that older dogs don't like to have a boat heeling and their paw pads are hard so they lend to slip/slide

A few of my thoughts

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 13, 2018, 04:55:10 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

More than just a long weekend.  We took a six week cruise in 2016 bringing the boat from SF to BC.  Lots of room behind those seat back cushions.  Plus the clever galley storage improvements many of us have made to add shelves to the nav station hanging locker.

C34s have sailed from Canada to the Bahamas and back, Vancouver to Mexico, to Hawaii and and across the Pacific.  Haven't heard of anyone going thirsty or hungry.  :D

Jon W

For me 4 plus me in the cockpit while sailing is the max. More than that and lines get trapped people feel in the way so can't relax and enjoy.

OEM provided storage is limited, however there are many places where glassing in a few simple bulkheads / partitions will result in good storage.

The boat is easy to handle and surprisingly nimble for a 34+ foot keel sailboat.

Systems are fairly straightforward, and this owners forum and the active members is incredible.

No boat is perfect. Be careful of opinions you get on various boats. Check things out for yourself. I've found most people don't know what they are talking about. Example - a person told me a Catalina 34 wasn't a seaworthy boat because of the "giant companionway". I walked him over to a Hans Christian 33, pointed to the companionway which is comparable to ours and said "so you're telling me this boat isn't seaworthy either?".

Good luck.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca