Holding Tank Vent Hose & Pumpout Hose Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

dw

Can someone tell me the size on the vent hose and the number of feet needed to replace this?   My wife and I recently purchased a 1988 Catalina 34 and are working our way down the list. Boat smell and cushions smell is at the top, followed closely by hatch leaks.  The cushion in the main salon are the worst but with baking soda and sunlight we are ahead of the game there.  We will be using a dry fabric cleaner on the upholstery.  I would like to order a replacement vent hose but even though this was the primary reason to stop by boat yesterday we got side tracked and did not get the hose size.   This appears to be very reasonable price hose here https://www.marinesan.com/5-8-MaxFlex-Sanitation-Vent-Hose-p/306345650.htm

Thanks in advance

Dwight
Hull 694
GET 'N BY 

Hugh17

Quote from: dw on August 05, 2019, 10:42:17 AM
Can someone tell me the size on the vent hose and the number of feet needed to replace this?   My wife and I recently purchased a 1988 Catalina 34 and are working our way down the list. Boat smell and cushions smell is at the top, followed closely by hatch leaks.  The cushion in the main salon are the worst but with baking soda and sunlight we are ahead of the game there.  We will be using a dry fabric cleaner on the upholstery.  I would like to order a replacement vent hose but even though this was the primary reason to stop by boat yesterday we got side tracked and did not get the hose size.   This appears to be very reasonable price hose here https://www.marinesan.com/5-8-MaxFlex-Sanitation-Vent-Hose-p/306345650.htm

Thanks in advance

Dwight
Hull 694
GET 'N BY

According to my notes the hose needs to be 3/4" ID. I bought 8' but don't go by measurements because my holding tank is not in the original location. The best option for the hose replacement is to remove the existing hose first to get your ID and length measurement.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

dw

Thanks for your input, that is exactly what I purchased.  I recently moved from a C30 to a C34 this is just one reason I stayed with a Catalina.  There are about 18 others the support is hard to beat. 

Hugh17

Quote from: dw on August 06, 2019, 06:03:39 PM
Thanks for your input, that is exactly what I purchased.  I recently moved from a C30 to a C34 this is just one reason I stayed with a Catalina.  There are about 18 others the support is hard to beat.

DW,

I agree that the support and networking in this group is very good. I read your previous message again and see that you mentioned smell from the cushions. When I purchased my boat it had been left unattended and had mildew everywhere. I removed all the cushions, scrubbed them using Windex as the cleaner and then scrubbed again with clean water on a cloth. I've found that Windex is a very good cleaner for fabric primarily because it leaves very little residue.

I also found that the upholstery Catalina used on my boat is excellent quality material. Mine still looks great even after 32 years, which is hard to believe. I did replace the foam in some of the cushions in the saloon. I removed the cushion and made paper patterns which I sent to  https://www.thefoamfactory.com/

Once I made my choice of foam they gave me a quote. It was nice to have the new foam arrive ready to put in the fabric covers. If you are interested in the exact foam I used I'll be glad to find the invoice and let you know as there are several options and it's a bit confusing to make a selection.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hugh17 on August 07, 2019, 03:30:49 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I did replace the foam in some of the cushions in the saloon. I removed the cushion and made paper patterns which I sent to  https://www.thefoamfactory.com/ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

James,

How did you get the "buttons" on the seat part of the cushions out?  Any trouble with the zippers?

Thanks for the rest of the report.  I've got a foam store close by our home.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

DW

In case you haven't tried it yet, OdoBan spray is very effective on cushions.
If your crankcase vent is not rerouted to your air intake it will contribute hardily to your boat stink. That was one of my first mods.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Hugh17

Quote from: Stu Jackson on August 07, 2019, 07:05:01 AM
Quote from: Hugh17 on August 07, 2019, 03:30:49 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I did replace the foam in some of the cushions in the saloon. I removed the cushion and made paper patterns which I sent to  https://www.thefoamfactory.com/ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

James,

How did you get the "buttons" on the seat part of the cushions out?  Any trouble with the zippers?

Thanks for the rest of the report.  I've got a foam store close by our home.

I had no problem with the zippers. As far as the buttons, watch this video and the process is made simple. You just have to judge how tight to pull the cord so dimple in the cushion matches the other cushions. Fortunately if it doesn't look right just cut the cord and do it again.

https://youtu.be/9a-9rQMfgMA

I strongly recommend going with the Dacron fiberfill wrap on the foam. It rounds out the corners and makes inserting the foam in the fabric cover much easier. The main thing is to use the old foam for a pattern and duplicate it as near as possible. A hot knife with a long foam cutting blade really comes in handy.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25