Aluminum Rub Rail Track

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Dickson

I'm about to take out the old rub rail on our MKII and replace with a new one from Catalina Direct. Prior to installing the new one, I would like to clean the aluminum track. I'm looking for suggestions on the best way and product to do the cleaning. In some reading, it appears that there is the possibility of using something that would prematurely 'break down' the new rub-rail...I would like to avoid that!!

Thanks for your help!
Andrew Dickson, 'Rudder Chaos' #1498, Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

'Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!'

Ron Hill

Andrew : Please explain "cleaning the Al track"??  I replaced the vinyl insert and have never "cleaned the Al track". 
Just make sure that the edges of the track are intact and not crushed/closed, so you can slide in the vinyl insert.  Also be careful that you do NOT stretch the vinyl while installing.  I found that a rubber mallet was handy getting the vinyl in the top track after the vinyl was seated in the bottom track. (or squeezing the vinyl together also works).

A few thoughts   
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

We have a Mk 1 so I don't know if we have similar aluminum track.

I had purchased the CD replacement rub rail, but when I removed the old one, I found some damaged track on the Stbd side.

I ordered a replacement track piece from CD and it arrived in time for me to do the repair before we had to splash.

wrote it up on my blog: http://www.sailingeximius.com/2018/01/replacing-rub-rail-on-c34.html

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ken Juul

Interior of the track I would use a small wire brush and shop vac to remove corrosion and debris.  Dirt/corrosion on the outside I think I would just use a good cleaner/wax prior to installing the insert.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Andrew Dickson

Thank you!! All good. When we took the old rub rail off, there was a lot of dirt and grime in the track. All cleaned up now and ready for the new rub rail today. Thanks for your help.
Andrew Dickson, 'Rudder Chaos' #1498, Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

'Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!'