External Voltage Regulator Mounting Location

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

OK, folks... I've searched far and wide.  Maybe such a discussion already exists, but I'm struggling to find it.  Where are some of the best external voltage regulator mounting locations for our boats?  I bought a Balmar MC-614H from mainesail and I'll studying my options.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

MarcZ

Same boat here , again  :lol:  I'm leaning towards aft cabin shelf - above the engine.
other options I have seen on this forum :
1) engine compartment (hot and crowded)
2)  head sink locker (no room on my boat , and potentially wet )
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

Noah

Mine is mounted on the backside of the teak door in the head that opens up to the area under the sink
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Installed mine in the head sink locker. It's visible and accessible to make changes with the wand. Keep in mind if you bought the regulator with the harness, the harness is only 54" long.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ed Shankle

Aft cabin shelf against the port wall has worked out well for me. Easy to install there and monitor.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

John Langford

Port side, above the engine access, under the upper set of companionway steps. I want to be able to make voltage and charge time adjustments easily while observing the results on my e-meter mounted by the electrical panel. Wregulatow wiring bundle is led through a small hole drilled just aft of the engine access piano hinge leading easily to the alternator connections on the port side of the engine.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ron Hill

Mike : As you can see the Balmar regulator is mounted on a "HeatSync" .  So keep it OUT of the engine compartment!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

I definitely plan to keep it outv off the engine compartment, but I've seen it wet enough under the head sink that I'm avoiding there as well.  That shelf in the aft cabin is looking better and better.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Mine is mounted on the inside of the door. I have never had any moisture issues there.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

Well, to be honest, I've only seen it wet once.  My coolant reservoir sits where your facet pump sits and my strainer sits where your racor is.  When I've had air in my coolant, I've had the reservoir bubble over.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

MarcZ

I'm very good at creating wet mess when servicing any strainers ....  especially bulkhead mounted engine raw water strainer .

Door option looks interesting ( easy access ) 
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

Ron Hill

Mike : To prevent any liquid from "dripping" on to my Balmar here's what I did:
I cut off the top half of a "Tupperware" rectangular box and mounted it behind and between the bulkhead wall and regulator. That way the box lip was over the top (like a hood) and 1/2 of the sides to protect the regulator.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC