Microwave

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Asbury

My Samsung microwave is dead and I haven't been able to locate a new one that will fit into the slot on my 2005 C34.
The microwave has to be less than 10" high to fit into the space provided.  Contacted Catalina and no help, with the
microwave they referred me to being more than 10" high.  Surfed the internet but couldn't find one less than 10" high.
Any suggestions?
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

This one might work, 10.3" high.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Proctor-Silex-0-6-cu-ft-Microwave-Oven/44463328

or continue your search for a 0.5 cuft unit
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mark_53

I had the same problem with my MK1.  Could find nothing under 10".  Need 9 3/4 or so and I did not want to cut into that beautiful craftsmanship for an appliance that will not last.  There are however toaster ovens that will fit that space.

Mick Laver

Hi Bill,
This is one of those answers to your question that's not really an answer, but here's my $0.02. We found galley storage on the C34 MkII so limited that it really didn't make sense to dedicate that large space over the stove to something we used so infrequently. Instead, we put the microwave on top of the cabinet in the aft cabin. The location is still easy to get to, you get the storage back in the galley, and you have a lot more latitude in what you can buy for a microwave. This assumes you still have the door for that center cabinet somewhere, of course.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

J_Sail

Stu Jackson

IIRC, the C36 skippers did a search a few years ago and may have found one.  A search on their forum might turn it up.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

This may be a longshot these days, but have your checked on repairing it? There may be parts available online. Most of the time I just toss and replace but in this instance where you can't find a "replace"...??
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 25, 2018, 12:07:56 PM
This may be a longshot these days, but have your checked on repairing it?

I have fixed several other microwaves by replacing internal fuses.  It's certainly worth a quick check of the fuses and door interlock switch.  I've found good trouble shooting instructions online.  Option 2 would be try the one Ken suggested and see if it has removable feet that you could remove or modify.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Bill Asbury

Thanks, all, for your prompt responses and good ideas.

Noah, contacted local appliance repair and they wanted $125 just to look at it.
Stu, will check the C36 site.
J_Sail, will keep in mind but prefer to buy new.
Mick, am considering putting microwave elsewhere.
Mark, will see what the Admiral thinks about toaster oven.
Ken, has to be less than 10" to fit.  Will check for 0.5 units.
Jim, will check fuses to see if I can repair.
Thanks again, all!
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

J_Sail

I was holding off on suggesting repairing it yourself because units have become less repairable over the years, but I was successful fixing my own microwave. It turned out to be a badly crimped terminal connecting the power lead to the door switch. It had chronically run so hot that it had slowly eroded the connection between the faston (slip-on) contact and the door switch. It's was pretty obvious once you knew where to look, and someone had posted a tip on a forum about my particular model.

So, look up the exact model number and see if some searching yields any clues.

Best of luck,
Jeremy

Jim Hardesty

I do suggest googling microwave repair online.  There are some components that need to be discharged or avoided.  When I look at a microwave I check for fuses, sometimes there is a fan to check and the operation of the door interlock switch.  That's the switch that prevents the microwave from operating if the door isn't closed.  Often the problem.  All easy and safe to check. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Jeremy and Jim.  I googled microwave repair and saw an array of parts listed for my unit totaling about $100
for the ones that seem most likely to fix the problem but hesitate to order all if it takes only one of them to do the trick, so what would you suggest?  The unit is Samsung MW640WA.
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Noah

I know this is an embarrassingly obvious question, but have you made sure the outlet GFI in the galley works? My boat had a different A/C circuit on port and starboard.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Noah, believe that's okay but will check to make sure.
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay