Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transmission and Aft Engine Access Hatch - Seeking Wisdom on Potential Project  (Read 799 times)

bayates

• Forum - Petty Officer 3rd Class
    • View Profile

We added an access door on Hakuna Matata for the HX Zinc.  I was tired of having to be double jointed to get to the zinc.  Now the whole process is 5 minutes.  Find the new zinc, 9/16 wrench, open door, put rags down and remove and replace.  DONE.  Worth the few bucks for the door and time. 
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

glennd3

• Forum - Seaman
    • View Profile

Dave thank you for taking the time to do the write up. I enjoyed the article and have it on a to do list.
Glenn Davis
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Patches

• Forum - Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile

I put in an access hatch as one of my first projects after I purchased my boat last April.  It has made a huge difference in all the work I have performed on the engine since then:  remove and replace heat exchanger, paint rear of engine, remove exhaust flange, remove and install new exhaust riser, all new engine hoses, and all new wiring.

I found the perfect hatch at Great Lakes Skipper for about $90.  The hatch removes completely, and it is about the maximum size to cut into the panel below the shelf behind the motor: 11" X 23".  Part number is 582-1123-05.

Simple to install. Trace the cutout of the hatch frame.  Use a small hole saw to cut the radius of the corners, and your multi-tool to cut the straight sections.  Rough sand the edges of the cutout with 80 grit.  Drill pilot holes for the frame and screw in place.  The frame is gasketed, so no caulk needed for mounting.

Sorry for no pics.

Patches

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up