Stainless or galvanized bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

In removing my thermostat housing, as others have, I broke one of the bolts. I was wondering if this bolt should be replaced with stainless or some other material since it is attaching mild steel / iron engine parts.

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

KWKloeber

Just a standard grade metric bolt is fine. 

The issue with the Tstat cap is to make sure that there is good electrical continuity between the T cap, bolt heads, and engine so that the temp gauge and hi-temp switch (if you have one - didn't state which engine you have) operate correctly.

If you depend on the bolts, use copper content never-seize on the threads and a biting lock washer under the heads to make contact, paint over them to hold off corrosion.  Or you can electrically bond the temp gauge sender to the engine negative ground somewhere (like on the alternator negative post.)

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sailr4

Thanks Ken.  I have the 25XP. I have not been able to remove the bolt stub yet.  I will try again when the weather warms just a bit.  Might end up drilling out and thru bolting.

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

KWKloeber

Ya, I stripped the head of one seized bolt on my M-25 10 years ago, tried to drill and E-Z it out. 
My mind has blocked all the sordid details, but the end result was the drill ran off center and thru the side.  I ended up buying a new Tstat cap (with the port for the hi-temp switch this time.)

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain