Luff length with furler upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

For you that upgraded from the Hood 915 to the SeaFurl-5 (325).  Did you need to modify your headsail to adjust for a change in hoist length?

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

sailr4

To answer my own question (for future generations) - Yes, Virginia. Of course you will have to re-cut your sail. Did you really think that a boat project would go smoothly?  You silly sailor.  For the tall rig, my sail luff is about 5 inches too long.  And that is after buying shorter tack and hoist shackles. Off to the sailmaker I go.  :cry4`

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Ron Hill

Rob : Wrote an article for the Mainsheet tech notes on replacing my Hood 915 (standard rig) with the newer Hood open drum furler. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

sailr4

Ron: Thank you, I read it a while back.  You replaced with an 808 and were fortunate to have an identical or longer foil length. That is why I posted this. To warn others that may upgrade to the 325 that the foil length is shorter than the 915.