Thermostat source

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

Please help. I going crazy.  Every time I think I found a vendor/part number for a 160 F thermostat for my 25XP, it says its 180 or doesn't say.  I know it probably doesn't matter too much, but I sail in the warm waters of the Chesapeake, so I'd like to stay cooler. Anyone bought a thermostat lately? Would rather not pay $60 to Universal.  By the way, the reason I need a thermostat is because my boat did not have one.  Go figure.

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

KWKloeber

Rob

A 160F tstat for the XP is:
   Kubota thermostat 160F 71C      1E399-73010   $28
   (supersedes p/ns 19203-73010, 19203-73013, 19203-73014.)

See the service bulletins, the KB tsat likely won't have a bypass hole, so drill a 1/8" hole, or two, thru the inside edge of its flange so there is a constant coolant flow thru the exhaust manifold when the tstat is closed.

Which tstat to use is based on the water type, not it's temperature. So I'm not following your reasoning on which tstat you want to use?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

sailr4

Thanks Ken. That's the number I was looking at, but no one had specs on it.  I was reading that people in colder waters were using the 180.  I really had no other basis on my reasoning, except the 160 was the OEM.

Rob

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

KWKloeber

rob

It was somewhat of a loaded question.  You want to use a lower temp thermostat not because of the sea temperature, but because it contains certain salts.   But, a diesel runs happier at higher temps, so if on a freshwater lake or river you use a higher temp thermostat.

Certain salts in seawater become less soluble as the water temp rises (at least in the range of temps in which our engines operate.)  Strange, because we know that table salt (sodium chloride) dissolves easier in hot water than in cold.  But, for instance, so does sodium sulfate -- but above 50 C (122 F) its solubility decreases.  So to lessen the opportunity for salts to precipitate out, a lower thermostat is installed to keep the engine coolant a little cooler, which keeps the seawater cooler.  This is a particular problem in seawater-cooled engines, like the original Atomic 4 because salt deposits would build up and block internal engine cooling passageways.  So that had a 140 F thermostat.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Mark Sutherland

I've always bought my 160 thermostats at Torreson marine for years.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

KWKloeber

W:

What temp is stamped on it?  The description for that part number comes back as a 180* F, not 160* F thermostat.

Kk

KWKloeber

Confirmed.  That Tstat is 180*F. 
YBYC, but shouldn't be used unless u r in fresh water.

kk

womble

KK. Thanks for checking on this.

I bought it as a spare. My engine never gets above 160 anyway.

But to the OP's question that basically remains unanswered, where is a reliable source for this part?

Amazon has it https://www.amazon.com/Generic-KUBOTA-THERMOSTAT-ASSY-1E399-73010/dp/B07B885ZRT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521477884&sr=8-1&keywords=1E399-73010 for $28.95 plus $5.49 shipping. (Not Prime)

KWKloeber

Asked and answered; read posts below....

sailr4

KWKloeber

Yep,that's less than Kubota dealer retail.

Did it have the temp stamped on it?
Did it have the bypass hole drilled in the flange?

k

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Stu

Fake news! The correct p/n has changed for both.

160F Kubota p/n 1E399-73010
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9793.msg74510.html#msg74510

180F kubota p/n 15531-73014. 

k

Gregory M

Ken
I have M35, which is V 1200 (correct?) , would the thermostat p/n be the same as for 25's.  :?
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.