Cockpit Courtesy Light

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

I've searched through similar subjects on the message board and can't find an answer for replacing the bulb or cockpit courtesy light. The switch for this light is under the instrument panel on the MKI. I also can't find any info on this light on the Catalina Direct web site. Ideally, I'd like to replace the bulb and/or fixture with a LED bulb and/or fixture. What have others done?
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Dave Spencer

James,
I don't have a cockpit courtesy light on my boat and, as your search found, I haven't heard of anyone else who has one; at least as original equipment.  Perhaps yours is an addition by a previous owner.  Where is it located?  Do you have a picture?

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Fred Koehlmann

Our 34 Mk II also did not have a cockpit/courtesy light. I agree with Dave, that your's must have been added by a previous owner. I think only the newer Catalina x5 series boats have what might be considered a cockpit/courtesy light built into their cockpit table base.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ron Hill

Hugh : No OEM cockpit light.
I'd take the bulb out and try to match it with an LED.  You might think about a red LED to save you night vision.

I installed a bright red LED light near the floor on the corner section of the galley sink.  That way you had some light walking down the companion way steps.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Hugh17

Quote from: Dave Spencer on March 21, 2018, 08:35:52 AM
James,
I don't have a cockpit courtesy light on my boat and, as your search found, I haven't heard of anyone else who has one; at least as original equipment.  Perhaps yours is an addition by a previous owner.  Where is it located?  Do you have a picture?

Dave,
I don't have a picture of it, but based on your and other replies it's clear that it's not OEM so a PO must have added it. I won't be back to the boat for another month so I'll remove the light and go to the local West Marine or search online for a replacement bulb or fixture. The fixture is located on the port side of the cockpit midway up the vertical seat wall from the cockpit floor and about a foot from the main companionway entrance. There is a toggle switch located just below the instrument panel.
Thanks for the help!
James
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

KWKloeber

James

I have two courtesy lights I picked up a decade ago (never got around to installing them) and have two types of bulbs that I have -- one a sealed, non-serviceable "bulb" (neon?) and a replaceable low lumen incandescent male festoon bulb. I have seen festoon LEDs, not sure whether they are bright or low lumen, though.  If you can't work with the bulb, CD has an LED replacement courtesy light.

If you can't find something that works for you, my distributor has a gazillion different courtesy lights - the most used are probably the Attwood (comes in 3", 4", 6", 8" long.)

some examples (all have sealed, non replaceable LEDs):

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain