Bumper boats

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyT

Hey folks!

Was at dock this AM, left for a quick jog, and upon my return, I found a neighbor had hit my boat!  I just met him and it sounds like he had trouble with the current and wind while docking.  Fair enough, but I have no idea how hard he hit me.  Looks like it was hard enough to take the gel coat off and was probably a pretty firm strike to the starboard side transom.  Anywhere else I should look for damage when a boat is struck like that?  Nothing obvious in the aft cabin.  I am sure it is fine but just wanted to check with the pro's in terms of looking at structural things after a boating accident.
Thanks!

WindyT
Annie C  1990 C34  Hull #1041   Charleston, SC

KWKloeber

WT

Surficial/cosmetic damage.  If there was serious structural damage at that particular location, you would see the "corner" crushed in and glass splintering.  Convince yourself and poke a thin ice pick or finish nail into the spot and fell it hit the firm Fiberglas lay up.

K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Windy T,

Agree with K it looks cosmetic, you can check the backside of the strike by looking in in the after lazeret. I've gotten a few of these on Top Gun over the years. Also another indication of deep damage is spider webbing in the gel coat.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

WindyT

Got it.
Tried the finish nail and feels appropriate + inside of lazerette looks fine. 

Thanks for the tips!    ...now I just have to make her look pretty again!

Annie C  1990 C34  Hull #1041   Charleston, SC

Stu Jackson

Quote from: WindyT on February 19, 2018, 11:04:56 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
...now I just have to make her look pretty again!

Most boatyards have misters/spray pumps with premixed white gelcoat.  They spray it on with successive light coats, blends right in even if the color match isn't 100% perfect - the sun takes care of it anyway in short order.  Good luck.

There's also a "gelcoat How To" at the beginning of your boat manual (and in the tech wiki).

Photo of a friend's boat with the yard staff spraying the gelcoat on:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: WindyT on February 19, 2018, 11:04:56 AM
Got it.
Tried the finish nail and feels appropriate + inside of lazerette looks fine. 

Thanks for the tips!    ...now I just have to make her look pretty again!

WT

Spectrum Color used to have gel coat repair kits to match manufacturer/year of boat. Unsure if they still do but worth a phone call.

K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

All : Spectrum didn't make the patch kits as of a few years ago.

I got gel coat from Catalina, added thickener (micro balloons from Spectrum) and made a paste to take care of the curved dings!!  Then sand with fine paper!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

I would try Catalina Direct:  They still carry Spectrum "whites" for ea. year and tint adjustment colors as well, plus will custom match, I believe.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/271/gel-coat-white-paste-80-88.cfm
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig