Cabin Table

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Our boat has an unusual cabin table setup.

The PO raised the Seats around the table and raised the table.

On the plus side, there is tons of storage beneath the raised seats and when sitting at the table we can see out of the windows. And there's additional storage beneath the raised table (it was raised about the same height as the seat base is from the cabin sole.

On the down side, there are no seat backs behind any of the cushions around the table. If sat on the Stbd seat, the chain plate rods are annoying. If sat in front of the galley, there's only about a 6" high bulkhead between the seat and the counter. If sat on the forward most cushion (ie. facing aft) there is no seat back, we just lean against the v-berth bulkhead.

Then the table is rugly, I mean Really Ugly, it has drop leaves on each end that are supported in the up position with metal bars that swing out from the table center. It's a plain ply table with what may be original teak edging.

So... Looking for ideas for replacing the table.

Things I'm considering:
.. Leaves fold up or fold down, but must have leaves as the Admiral has a tough time getting sat at the table.
.. Teak edging or No raised edges. If the sea is rough, then we snack on the setee or in the cockpit rather than sit at the table.
.. Material: Wood, Plastic (yuk), Teak, Ply, Butcher Block.
.. Leaf hinges: Metal, Wooden (cut into table and leaves)

Would really appreciate input and pics if your table is not original.

Thanks.

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Fred Koehlmann

Photos would be useful, as always.

As for fold-ability, I always liked the idea of fold into itself. i.e. the underside of the leaf becomes the top side when folded in on top of the fixed section. Take a look at the xx5 series Catalina's. This makes it easy for getting in and out from the dinette.

Depending on how you do it, the fixed section can have a cutlery drawer under it. I like the idea of well varnished wood with teak trim with a lip, to help prevent sliding off the table. With the method I mentioned above, the lip would only be upward when close/folded.

Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

mark_53

Hi Paul, I have two tables.  One is the OEM table.  The second is cut short on the galley side for easier access.  It is attached to the pedestal with 4 screws.  I use one when by myself, the other when I have guests.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5b4kzd0dpi1snrz/Photo%20Feb%2014%2C%2012%2013%2010%20PM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yx9llgomumst9u/Photo%20Feb%2014%2C%2012%2013%2018%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Ron Hill

Paul : There are commercial hinges for drop leafs that snap into place when the table is up and release to drop the leaf back down.      OR
As I did make underneath sliders that come out to hold the leaf up and then slide back to fold the leaf down.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Fred: The fold down option we currently have is part of the problem, the leaves fold down reducing leg room needed to get up to or off the seat.

Mark: Nice looking table (one pic just showed a corner) We always have at least 2 of us on the boat, so only one style is required.

Ron: The swing out arms that we currently have are not a good fit (part of the Rugly) but if made and adjusted correctly they would work.

So far I'm leaning towards a Leafed table, Leaves folding up, Supported by swing out arms. The Leaf in the open position would only require the arms to reduce strain on the hinge. Fold up leaves prohibit wood knuckle hinges.

Fiddles are not so much an issue and I prefer a robust table top rather than the thin ply (1/2") we have now.

Rounded corners for obvious reasons, perhaps a modified top center where the leaves fold up to include the rounded corners.

Getting there.

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Paul,

Aha!  We were wondering how long it would take for you to finally get to the salon table.  It's an issue for almost all of us with Mark I interiors.  :D

I did a ton of research before I pulled the trigger on my modest modification.  You may have done this already, but there are a slew of salon table photographs that skippers have posted, many of which I've tagged for searching with that phrase.

Good luck, the height issue is an intriguing one.  Fred's request for a photo would be interesting to see, hard to visualize although your description was good.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fred Koehlmann

Paul, I hear you about leaves that drop down getting in the way of knees. That's why I was suggesting leaves that fold up. Our cockpit table on the C34 did just that, and our dining table on the C425 does that also. You'd be looking at having a more solid wood table and different flush type hinges.

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Fred : I did the same thing to my cockpit table. I added turn out braces underneath to help strengthen against people that lean on the fold outs.

Paul : My slid out braces underneath are out of the way wen out holding the leafs in place and disappear when slid IN and the leafs are down.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Fred: how about a pic of your saloon table open...for us geometrically challenged?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

noah

excuse the artistic license.  if you draw a rhombus that encompasses the folded table, you have the open table.  Twice the L and W, 4 times the area, and rotate it 45 degrees to use it.

Fred, what supports the leaves?  Pivot out fiddles?

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Ah ha. DUH! It was the rotate step that I missed! Very nice! Get ready to rhombus! 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Fred Koehlmann

I looked and strangely enough, I don't have a picture of the dinette open. I guess every time we opened it we were eating or doing something on the table and I wasn't taking pictures. LOL. However, Ken has the right idea. You basically double the surface area. As for any "supports", it's only the hinges and the thickness of the table edge that holds it up. I would not support my weight on it. When sailing, I would close it up so that no one could accidentally fall against a leaf. It seems fine to put your elbows on, but I wouldn't use it to raise myself out of the seat lets say.

All the new xx5 series of Catalina boats have this design, so you might be able to find a closer picture of the table and hinge somewhere online. I'd have to wait until I get back up north to our snow-covered boat, which unfortunately won't be any weekend soon.

Ken Juul

Another option is to just remove the table.  Really opens up the cabin.  If not eating at the cockpit table, we ate on trays.  We don't play cards or games so it wasn't needed for that. Seldom needed the extra bed, if we did brought it to the boat for the duration.  Try it you might like it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ed Shankle

I assume that folding design, or any folding leaf design for that matter, excludes the use of the table as the base for a berth which the original design provides?
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA