Alternator Upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

This is the alternator Ken is considering:

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/alternator-for-4-cyl-diesel-lehman-4d254-73-on-20054-3141192-353274.html

Anyone have any experience with this vendor and/or product?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

I would want to know where it's imported from.

I usually have used Wilson reman alts, that NAPA sells, but a better price from filterspro.com.
They're totally reman, and Wilson is the largest remanufacturer in North America.  A quality team.

When I order them, the Wilson tech will check their reman database and ship the unit that tested out to have the highest Vr setpoint.

I have also bought the comparable 72a moto/Leece (Wilson reman) from filterspro.  Direct fit with a little more oomph and lower wear and tear on the alt. They say there's no pulley, but I have never had one that didn't have it.

syoung@filterspro.com Sherry Young

JTSE
Ken

And the owner is a vet.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mainesail

The alternator Ken is considering comes out of China and the reseller is making a far bigger margin than anyone selling a quality Leece-Neville alternator is. You do get what you pay for with alternators.

A better choice would be going to at least 65A such as the LN 8MR2402L. This unit uses the external adjustable voltage regulator. The old 8MR2049 units came with regulators set at anywhere from 14.2V to over 15V. With Chinese "one size fits all" replacements it can be hard to tell which regulator they supply. 14.2V will under charge and 15.0+V will eventually over charge.

I offer 1/2" and 3/8" single v pulleys, for 8MR alternators using a non-metric alt shaft (most of them). I have them custom machined.

https://shop.marinehowto.com/t/alternators--regulators

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ekutney

I currently have an "original" Motorola 8RG2009A alternator & it took me 2 weeks of PB application & patience to get the pivot bolt free.  It was bonded from the bolt to the alt frame.  PB did the job.

I am looking to have the alt tested & then determine my next step & trying to keep a tight budget.

I have 2 GC T105 & a group 24 for reserve/starting. My use is weekend on the hook & back to marina.  I have a Sterling 30 amp charger, excellent purchase from Mainsail. It will keep the batteries maintained so the alt needs are not high.

Any suggestion as to smart choices would be appreciated. 
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Noah

If you are on a budget and your existing alternator works, IMO keep it. Why switch?  I assume you have the engine bracket retrofit mentioned in "Critical Upgrades"?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Ed

That's the regulator number. Is it on an 8MR2049K alt (the # is stamped into the up-front side of the housing.
Have you done any upgrades to the AO and negative cables on the alt and in the engine space?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

PS Ed in the meantime this thread might give you information that is germaine to your boat usage?

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,10114.msg77672.html#msg77672

Stu Jackson

Ed, Ken's link is a good one, please read it from the beginning and check out the links within that topic, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ekutney

Engine mount bracket retrofit has been done.

I am in the process of doing some extensive rewiring, many many items from this forum have been very useful.  Replacing all wiring from the alt & cockpit control panel plus many updates to the Power Panel.  Changing SPST to DPDT AC breaker, changing all terminal connectors to marine heat shrink, changing 1/2/BOTH switch & relocating, adding SG200 to monitor 2XT-105 House bank & voltage display for DC at Power Panel.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke