Simple (stupid?) Question - Coolant Removal

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

Ok, I'm probably overlooking something stupid, but what is the method that you use to remove the old coolant from the engine - "On Purpose".  I have replaced coolant after it leaked out , but never when it was still in the engine.

TIA

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Stu Jackson

Engine Overheating 101 - How to Burp Your Engine (Reply #6)  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg26462.html#msg26462

This technique gets rid of most of it.  If you want, throw some more distilled water in and do it again.  :D

I have always cautioned people to NOT use the petcocks on the engine block.  Why?  They have very small holes and can get fouled.  If you're not able to close them you're SOL.  Also, they are in hard to reach spots, getting a small hose on them is hard, and aren't much lower than the Burp method.

BTW, don't hesitate to go buy the Toyota part for that 1" to 7/8" hose under the coolant pump for M25 and M25XP engines.  Saves you lots of $$ and when you need it, you'll have it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailr4

Thanks Stu,

funny enough, that's the only article I didn't read today; since I had read it before and only remembered the "filling" part.

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

KWKloeber

Quote from: sailr4 on February 02, 2018, 12:18:24 PM
Ok, I'm probably overlooking something stupid, but what is the method that you use to remove the old coolant from the engine - "On Purpose".  I have replaced coolant after it leaked out , but never when it was still in the engine.

TIA

Rob

Rob,

For what it's worth, on my M25 I've done both many times (lower hose and strbd draincock.)  My access to the drain is much easier than yours (I slip silicone tubing on, or hold a container underneath) and my lower hose option is also more difficult to do than it is on the C34.  I've never had an issue with the draincock leaking or not closing off (knock on cast aluminum.)

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain