Bumpers

Previous topic - Next topic

sail4dale

Have some not too old bumpers that are making more black marks on the boat that the slip edge would if I didn't use them.  I've tried to clean them with a variety of cleaners but it ends up sticky and in a few days they are again transfering the goop to my boat.

Does anyone have a solution besides a cloth cover or new bumpers?

:confused:

Stu Jackson

I agree with Ron thast the long term solution is covers.  Short term, you can use acetone on the hull and the fenders (use rubber gloves!!!) and then boat wax them both, that'll last for some period of time.  Our experience is that the tops of the big boy fenders really catch a lot of airborne dirt, which trickles down the sides, so when the fenders rub against the hull, they leave those nasty marks.  

I've always wondered about those flat fenders, anybody have any success with those?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave

I've found that inflatable boat cleaner works well. It dosen't leave them sticky and it provides a protective coat. I'm fond of the Seapower products.

Good Luck,
Dave

Roc

M-1 remover from Home Depot gets them really clean.  Also works great on life lines.  Does not react with the plastic to make them sticky.  Also safe on fiberglass (contrary to the new labeling.  Old copy said safe on fiberglass.  Called the company and they told me same formula, new look on can).

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD