No Reserve eBay auction: 1988 Catalina 34

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiskymac

Jeremy Lewis. 1988 C-34 #711. Standard rig, shoal draft
Yanmar  3GM30

pablosgirl

I saw this too.  Yes, structural damage, impact at front of keel causes the back of the keel to rise toward hull and caused the cracks in the floor pan and rib by the battery box under the settee.  The sink/settee cabinet structure makes the starboard side of the boat stiffer in this area and that is why you see the vertical crack in the rib just outside the lip that supports the removable floor boards.  It is repairable, but labor intensive.  That is why it was totaled by the insurance company.  Repairs exceeded 60% of insured value is the typical formula used.

I would also closely inspect the area of the hull where the leading edge of the keel meets the hull and the grid/rib structures inside the hull above this area for damage.  There would be a downward force in the leading edge of the keel with a grounding like this.

I would also inspect the rudder bearing tube for any damage.  But it looks like the force that could damage this area was dissipated when the rudder blade broke first?  But still should be inspected.

To repair you would need to grind out the rib and replace.  Also you would need to inspect the hull for any cracks.  These would need to be ground out with a 12:1 bevel and new glass added back.  I believe that this area of the hull near the keel stump is ~1" thick, so you would need to grind back 12 inches either side of any crack to repair.  To get at the rib you would need to remove at least the floor pan structure above the rib and 2 feet for and aft to gain access.  In the worst case scenario you would also need to remove the battery box/settee/sink cabinet to gain access.  You would want to add an aluminum stiffener into the center of the replaced rib that had a plate that extended on the floor of the bilge to the nearest keel bolts for added support.  Not a lot of materials but a lot of skilled labor.

Paul

Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP