Blower hose

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

I recently noticed the Blower hose that's on the SB side cowl vent on the transom is connected to a plastic Y-plenum, which is located above the A/B fridge unit.  The hose is connected to two of the Y openings, but the third is not connected to anything.  It has been my understanding that when the blower motor is running (the blower motor unit is connected to the port side cowl on the transom), it blows air out of the port cowl, causing a vacuum effect in the engine compartment, drawing in fresh air from the hose connected to the SB side cowl.  But with the Y set up, not only would air be drawn from outside, it would also be drawn from the rear lazarette.  But not only that, I'm sure this compromises the amount of fresh air that is allowed to be sucked in from the SB cowl because of this third opening.  For anyone with a MkII model, I am curious if you also have the Y-plenum and if so, why is it there?  Why isn't the intake hose connected directly to the cowl vent??

Thanks,
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Bill Jenks

My 2000 C34 hull nuber 1484 is set up the same way.
Bill Jenks
Treasurer C34IA
Unzipped  Catalina 34 #1484
BOB San Juan 21 #19
Tacoma WA

c34member

I'm not sure I understand the issue??

It would do no good to draw air in from the outside and then blow it back out of the boat.  The blower is designed to suck the collected fumes from around and below the engine and push them out of the boat.  It would work just as well with no intake hose at all, as long as the exit hose is led down into the space low in the bilge/engine compartment.

Roc

Good point, Charlie.  I was thinking fresh air in, fumes out.  But this makes sense.  Thanks...
Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD