Chart storage rack

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

Okay, this may be in the category of "there IS such a thing as a dumb question," but bear with me because you all are a great source of ideas. Last season I installed a magazine rack over the nav table in order to store current charts, and it works great for accessing the charts.  But the charts are floppy, as you can see in the attached photo.  I'm considering putting a horizontal bungee cord above the rack, but that makes it kind of hard to extract a chart.  Ideas?  Thanks.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Stu Jackson

Steve,  I think you put the rack too high.  Drop it down to the top of the nav station top and you'll have more room above.  Then get some stiff cardboard and put it in front of the floppy charts.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

steve

from the simple to the elegant and involved, many ways to skin a cat. 
Seems like this should be a question of the month (Ta Da.... and the winner is.......   :party  )

It would bother me so much that I'd either:

remove the bottom, envelope it with battens to form a lipped shelf, and slide the whole shebang up, with the new shelf mounted 3-4 inches below the mag holder. Or make an open teak rectangle, to mount 3-4 inches (or wherever necessary) above the mag holder.

Or buy another, cut it short and mount it above.  Then use the bottom of the cut off to make a rack for spices, or coffee cup/rocks glass/dividers/pencils/handheld gps/phone/whatever.

During the 10 years it took me to actually get A Round Tuit, I'd stand up a pc of smoked plexi (3-4 ins taller than the mag holder) in front of the charts -- or affix the plexi to the inside front face of the mag holder.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Steve,
My idea would be to stop at a home improvement store and look at the Command brand hooks.  A couple of them some small shock cord or para-cord as required.  Some on the spot designing should get the job done.   And no holes to drill.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Steve: I had the same problem and did as Jim suggested by installing a bungee cord with 2 brass cup hooks.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mark_53

In this day and age, electronic charts are primarily used for navigation.  Paper charts are backup for most.  I have a wall mounted light in the location of your magazine rack. Paper charts are kept under the nav table lid. But, ATS, YBYC

Noah

Mine are rolled up in 2 tubes on shelf behind the plexi sliders. Cruising guides are in chart table. Coast pilot on iPad.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Steve_in_lex

Thanks all for your excellent ideas.  For better or worse, I have several months to plan this project before executing it.  I'll write a follow-up when it's done.

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"