bio fuel

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

What are the long term effects of using bio fuel?  I believe bio fuel was pumped into my fuel tank 4yrs ago.(can't proof it) Would appreciate any comments on this topic.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Braxton

My understanding is you have three potential areas of concern.

1) Old rubber hoses may not be compatible with Bio diesel.    Depending on the types of oils used to make the bio diesel it can be a fairly strong solvent.   Older rubber fuel hoses may not be compatible with it and they can start to break down.   Internet lore points to about 1993 being the cutoff for problems with hoses in automobiles, I don't know if boat hoses lagged.     

2) The same solvent properties can "clean" your tank of accumulation of old diesel crude.    This crude can then flow down and clog filters and potentially injectors.

3) depending on the blend, some bio diesel that is stored for extended periods will start to have the heavier polymers settle out.   Once again this can lead to clogged filters or injectors or just general rough running of the engine..

If it was 4 years ago, I would have thought you would have seen significant issues by now, are you?     
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Paulus

The issue I am having is the amount fuel on the transom.(for me this is a significant problem)  I originally thought it was oil but checked my oil levels and the engine is not using oil.  This fall when I changed the racor filter it was very dirty.  When I came home from the North Channel, I opened the bleeder value and the engine seemed to run better and no liquid on the back of the transom.  I had the injectors taken out and also the injector pump.  One injector was not opening up and one other one was only partially opening.  The outfit that tested the crude on the injectors and found that 20% of it was bio fuel.  I also had a broken pin in the pump and they thing that was due to too much torgue, perhaps from the factory??  It is all put back and should have better performance and power.   Never have had a problem starting or running. 
I started using FPPF 8+cetane improver this past summer. 
Appreciate your input.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Braxton

A malfunctioning injector can cause unburnt fuel to pass through the engine if the injector does not "mist" the fuel adequately.   Since having the work done has the problem gotten better?

Did you change the on engine filter as well as the Racor?   That filter should be the final defense before the injectors.  It would be interesting to know what it's state was.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Paulus

We are here in Michigan.  Will not know until Spring.  The racor filter was very dirty, but the bowl was clean.  I have changed both filters. 
The engine filter look good.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Miles Henderson

Five years ago, I stored my boat indoors in Manitowoc, WI.  The owner of this storage facility was also producing bio diesel as a side business.  I got to know him fairly well and he shared with me his experiences in producing the fuel.  He made this fuel from remnant animal fat that he would get from local slaughter houses.  His experience was that it was extremely difficult to get the blend of required catalysts exactly right so the resulting end product would keep all its components in permanent suspension :shock:

He informed me that many of the producers of biodiesel were small local operations like his, yet he had access to distribute his finished product to large national chains.  That's why you will see distinctive warning signs on retail pumps providing biodiesel.  Putting this product in a sailboats fuel tank can stay there for several years.  If there is any question what you have in your tank, I would drain it all and replace it with non-bio diesel asap.

Good luck  :thumb:

Paulus

Thanks Miles,  I am planning to drain the fuel tank.  Not sure just to drain it or have the tank taken out and cleaned.  Not sure what I want to do??  Would like to take the tank out and have it cleaned but that means I have to empty the tank first etc.  Cold here in Michigan, so I have time to think about and hope also to get some input.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Indian Falls

Can I suggest you take the tank out and clean it.  It comes out easy.  Hardest part is getting the filler hose off.
I put a gallon of simple green and a gallon of water in the tank and left it in my work truck all winter. Sloshing around while driving.  It never froze even if it did it's doubtful it would hurt at 2gal level.  Drained and rinsed with boiling water.  Clean as a whistle.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Paulus

Just an update.      The engine is back in the boat.  I had one injector plugged and one  partially plugged.  The injector pump was taken apart and cleaned.  Had all new hoses and new caskets install except for the head casket.  The fuel tank is next, as soon as we get some warm weather.  Anything over 40 will seem like the tropics here in Michigan.( my problem started 3 years ago, had recorded this in my log book.  Also have spend some time researching this issue and have it narrowed down to one location and it is not in the North Channel, also I have never bought fuel at a service station.)
Appreciate all the info.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944