New owner, boat now in Geelong

Previous topic - Next topic

derekb

Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a very old C34, could be hull number 29, and she's in need of much TLC.

Currently located at Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, and after Christmas I'll be sailing her over to Geelong, where I'm a member at Royal Geelong.

Here she is after having anti-foul refreshed:

IMG_6123_resize by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr

I've already trawled through many of the posts on the message board and in the tech Notes, what an amazing resource.

I'm looking forward to my first "Catalina summer", starting next week!

Regards,
Derek
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Bill Shreeves

The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

DaveBMusik

Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

derekb

And here's my first question...

Can anyone tell me what these lines on the foredeck are for? At first I thought a spinnaker pole down-haul, but now I'm not so sure...

IMG_5989_resize by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr

Regards,
Derek
Derek Buckmaster

britinusa

Welcome Derek.

I'm guessing a local mod.

Q's for you: Is that a Keel Stepped mast, if so, it's the cleanest cabin top I've seen.

OBTW: My Sis lives in Tasi and other family in Perth.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

MarcZ

Hello and Congratulations  :party

Where are all these lines go ?  top of the mast  ?  is it one line or 2 lines
Mast looks deck stepped , can you post more pics of the upper part showing the other end of the setup ?

Btw
I must say your cradle makes me nervous .... I don't see much support preventing boat form pitching aft or forward

93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

mark_53

Quote from: derekb on December 19, 2017, 04:14:39 AM
And here's my first question...

Can anyone tell me what these lines on the foredeck are for? At first I thought a spinnaker pole down-haul, but now I'm not so sure...

Not to be a smart a$$ but lines are used to connect one end of something to another.  Only you can tell us what each end is connected to.

derekb

OK, mystery solved, by further investigation and figuring...

The loose line through one of the blocks is indeed the spinnaker pole down-haul. It is cleated at the mast on one end and has a snap shackle at the other end.

The taught line through the other block turns out to be the spinnaker pole topping lift, but I have no idea why it leads through a block on the fore-deck. The block will shortly be removed and the topping lift routed in a more logical fashion!

MarcZ, I agree, the boat didn't look properly supported on that cradle. But that's how the yard manager did it, and all the boats in the yard were sitting in the same precarious fashion. It's back in the water now, was only out for 2 days for cleaning and anti-foul.

The mast is indeed deck-stepped.

Regards,
Derek
Derek Buckmaster

Mas Tequila

A very old boat? Hull # 29? Why that's a spring chicken. We have hull # 11  :D Congratulations on your new to you boat your going to love it. This site has been a tremendous resource for us and the people are just great.   
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

scgunner

I knew the guy who had hull no. #1, the name of the boat was "Puffin".
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

lucky

Ben H.

Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Ron Hill

Derek : Congratulations, but What's on the transom?
Ron, Apache #788

DaveBMusik

Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Dave Spencer

Certainly a propane tank on the pushpit rail but I think Ron was asking about what appears to be a fold down swim platform on the transom.  We'll look forward to some more pictures and a description of it from Australia. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario