Cable slap in mast

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

I'm trying to eliminate what I think are the electrical wires slapping inside of the mast below deck level.
I'm thinking of slicing a foam swim noodle lengthwise and sliding that over the cables up inside the mast.
Has anyone used this approach or see any pitfalls?

Thanks, Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Dave Spencer

Hi Dave,
I too had slapping in my mast which was annoying at anchor.  My cables run through conduit and I wrote up how I re-riveted the conduit to the mast in this post.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7170.msg54840.html#msg54840 
Search around this board and the rest of the internet and I think you'll see that your ideas may work well but ensure you leave halyards running inside the mast running fair.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

If you go the foam route, noodles seem a might extreme. 
Think about using foam pipe insulation, pre-slit and adhesive-ized for you.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

DaveBMusik

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 18, 2017, 03:28:18 PM
If you go the foam route, noodles seem a might extreme. 
Think about using foam pipe insulation, pre-slit and adhesive-ized for you.

k

Is pipe insulation closed cell foam?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Dave Spencer on December 18, 2017, 02:57:19 PM
Hi Dave,
I too had slapping in my mast which was annoying at anchor.  My cables run through conduit and I wrote up how I re-riveted the conduit to the mast in this post.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7170.msg54840.html#msg54840 
Search around this board and the rest of the internet and I think you'll see that your ideas may work well but ensure you leave halyards running inside the mast running fair.

Thanks Dave, I will look into that although I suspect the radar cables may be outside the conduit. Simple to check when we get a warm day...
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Is pipe insulation closed cell foam?

Dunno, But I would suspect so due to possible pipe condensation.
If it's not, whoever invented the stuff should be shot.

Google can be your best friend sometimes!

K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mregan

I also had the slapping.  The pvc conduit had come loose inside the mast.  Mine had actually broken in two.  I was able to re-rivet it although it turned out to be a bigger pain in the ass than I originally thought.  If you don't have a conduit then I think the noodle or pipe insulation would work.

Stu Jackson

I agree with mr.  We had slapping when we bought Aquavite in 1998.  Turns out, when we had the stick pulled in 2003 or so, that some of the original OEM basic wiring had been pulled OUTSIDE the conduit!!! :cry4`

Unless you pull the stick, if your conduit is correctly mounted as mine is, then your suggestion is a very good way to do it.

My question is: 

You said: "...and sliding that over the cables up inside the mast."

How do you do that with the mast up?   :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good luck, any way you slice it...   (sorry about that... :D :D :D)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

Dave,
If you suspect it is only the radar cable and not the light and wind instrument cables that run right to the masthead, the problem and therefore the solution is simpler. Since the radar antenna is mounted only part way up the mast, fitting pipe insulation or some other foam would be much simpler than if you had to do it for the entire height of the mast. I think some have found leaving the tails on strategically place tie wraps on the offending cable has also worked to silence slapping cables.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Dave : If you want stop the slapping you first MUST pull the mast and find out what's happening inside!  Tis that simple!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 19, 2017, 02:28:36 PM
Dave : If you want stop the slapping you first MUST pull the mast and find out what's happening inside!  Tis that simple!!

A thought

Yes, the mast is down for the winter. Just waiting for a warm day.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

rmbrown

My original conduit was also detached and broken in the middle, making the mast a long skinny bell.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC