Shower Drain

Previous topic - Next topic

rjengelhart

Ahoy Folks,

Need some help w my shower drain.  Seems there is a rupture btwn the shower & the pump; any ideas on how to replace the hose/pipe?

Thanks
RJE
SV Andiamo

Hugh17

I'm commenting mainly to be following the discussion. However, I'm in the middle of this project now. Apparently there is a hose to fitting clamp under the head flooring that can't be accessed without installing an inspection port in the hallway just outside of the head/bathroom area. First the teak/holly plywood flooring must be removed which is no big deal. Under it is a solid fiberglass/plywood floor which will require an access area to be opened. I don't see a problem in leaving the access open since the teak/holly plywood will more than support an opening even substantial size. I would suggest first drilling a 1' to 2" hole with a hole saw and make sure the pilot bit is set to a very shallow depth. Once the 1" to 2" hole is open inspect and feel under the floor for wires, etc. If nothing is in the way then with a saw of some type with a very shallow blade and cut out a larger 6" to 8" round hole.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Noah

I have installed a flush mounted 6 inch beckson port under the cabin sole for access.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : The flooring well that the teak/holly sets in he not very thick.  There are weep holes drilled in mine so you can check the thickness.
As mentioned - break a saber saw/hole saw blade to shorten it and you should be OK on the depth.
If you look in the cabinet under the sink you'll find the wires that go under that flooring which should be laying on the hull. 
A 6" hole should be enough to get to that drain connection.  Your choice if you want to install a flush Beckson port or just reinstall the teak/holly flooring over the hole.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788