Re-bedding Stanchions

Previous topic - Next topic

pablosgirl

I am re-bedding my stanchion.  I did the vented ones already but I am having trouble figuring out how to move the ash batten panel that is back of the top salon shelves port and starboard.  The stanchions that are near the upper shrouds have their outboard two bolts behind those ash panels. Not sure how they are held in place and don't want to break them.  Anyone know how to move/remove them?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

britinusa

Paul, we have a 1987 Tall Rig Fin Keel #463 so I'm not sure if any construction changes were implemented in that area between out boat builds.

On Eximius, all four bolts are outboard of the woodwork.

We did not remove any wood when re-bedding the stanchions except in the V-Berth, I was able to get a ratchet with a long socket onto the nuts on the underside.

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

pablosgirl

I double checked the position of the bolts on these two stanchions and the starboard stanchion bolts are all in front of the ash batten boards like you said. But on the port side, two of the bolts are behind the ash batten.  It is like the ash batten board was not mounted flush against the inside of the hull.  Does anyone know how this board is fixed in place?  I do not want to break it try to remove it.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
M25XP

Ron Hill

Paul : You're is the small slider compartment above the main electrical panel, I'd take a Dremel tool and cut that ash batten so you can get to those nuts. Close the slider and you'll never see the cut out!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Quote from: pablosgirl on December 12, 2017, 12:09:17 PM
I double checked the position of the bolts on these two stanchions and the starboard stanchion bolts are all in front of the ash batten boards like you said. But on the port side, two of the bolts are behind the ash batten.  It is like the ash batten board was not mounted flush against the inside of the hull.  Does anyone know how this board is fixed in place?  I do not want to break it try to remove it.

Thanks,
Paul

Any pics?
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

pablosgirl

Ron,
Its not the vented wast stanchion, but the next one further forward by the shrouds.  My boat has a long ash batten board between the top salon shelf and the bottom of the side deck.  The ash batten is fitted between the inboard and outboard pair of bolts of the stanchion.  Even if I dremel a couple of notches in the top of the board, I cannot pull the board inward.  It is fixed some how. Glue maybe since I don't see screws?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
M25XP

Ken Juul

The boat was built symmetrical.  Is the shelf depth the same on both sides?  Could be a PO removed the ash batton and didn't reinstall properly.  I would  try using a hook of some sort and try to pull one of the bottom corners out to remove it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA