Galley overhaul

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

I am in the midst of a galley overhaul on my 87.
It started with looking into why the drawers were dropping down. I took the drawers out after the boat was hauled for the season and found that the 1/4" panels that support the drawer slides were delaminating. I removed the whole drawer bank including face frame and have to rebuild the whole thing.
Next I moved on to removing hot water tank and pressurized water system. I have had the boat 5 years and have never used hot water or pressurized water. We go with a foot pump for sink water, gallon spring water for filling a pot and solar bag or on shore shower. Having all that mess out of there reduces water connections like crazy and frees up a big storage area under sink. It also clears both sides of engine bed where hot water hoses came up and supply and return to head sink. Head sink will be a Whale hand pump off of the rear tank.
I will remove the small drawer under the sink and install 2 doors there, like the new Cat's have.
I will re-plumb sink drains, make a nice manifold for fore and aft tank switching. Probably going to do away ice box foot pump drain.
And while all this is happening now is the time to replace the counter top because of rotted corner from PO's leaky stanchion. I have the counter in my garage, have removed all the teak trim, cut the new plywood from old with a flush cut router bit. The size of the new has to be exact of the old or mitered corners of teak trim won't fit well.
After all that I have to rip new ash battens for the galley wall as aforementioned leak has ruined those.
Just a little off season work!
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

patrice

Hi,

Great winter project you started.

Hope you took some pictured to share with us.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Hugh17

I look forward to seeing before, during, and after pictures if possible.
Thanks, James
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25