Plastic slider door. Removal and replacement?

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

My plastic slider door finally broke where the handle is. How the heck does one remove it and any ideas for replacement with something nicer?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Phil Spicer

The top track is a little deeper than the bottom track. The plastic can be lifted up about 1/4" or so and you can pull the bottom of the plastic out of the track. You may need to push up on the center of the upper shelf a little. Some have a little sag because of age....no one would ever overload the shelf...
   As for replacement, your choice. A lot of plastic companies on the net. Plywood with formica, plywood frame with cane. Any thing you can think of. I think the Wiki has ideas and pictures. Try a search.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Stu Jackson

Cliff,

The wiki main page shows the old archived FAQ page.  There is a mention of the doors there.

There are also a handful of tech notes on the subject:  Nov. 2003, Nov. 2004, Aug. 1993 and May 2009.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Clif : The reason your slider broke where the handle is - is because the other slider hit the handle.

Easy fix on a new slider (so it will not happen again!~) is a thin piece of metal on the back side held in place with the 2 screws that hold the slider handle.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Good one Ron!

I replaced our Galley sliders due to that issue, your solution would prevent it.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Set2sea

I replaced my black plexi with back to back white Formica as others have done.
A few notes I would add:
I think my original doors broke at handles from pulling too hard or at off angles.
I tried to remove and replace to doors by lifting up into upper groove and I couldn't get them out that way. I had to remove screws thru bulkheads and into shelves which wasn't too difficult, just a little time.
Also, when I had made up the Formica doors from the thickest Formica I could buy and glued them back to back, they wouldn't have been much stronger supporting handle loads as the black plexi so I backed up the handle with a .090" thick, 4"X 6" aluminum sheet, drilled thru for handle screws and epoxied to inside of door. That stiffened it right up.
The white doors look awesome, brightens the cabin nicely.
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Ron Hill

Guys : if you cover the black sliders as some of us have done with something lighter, it makes the cabin look much brighter and larger.  I used the Ash batten strips some use white acrylic or Formica, it also is the strengthening of the handle area.

A number of articles in the Mainsheet tech notes and Wiki.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Hi,
Same problem with mine.
To remove, slide in the middle and while someone lift on the top shelf you should be able to lift the sliding door and pull the bottom toward you.

Since the door overlap each other, I replace the brocken door in the back track and the brocken section in the middle, so the front door hide it.

I also light sanded one side of the acrylic door and painted.  Make a huge difference make the inside brighter.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Roland Gendreau

As mine also broke due to the handles, I eliminated handles on the replacement plexiglass doors and just put finger holes in each end.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

britinusa

Quote from: Roland Gendreau on December 10, 2017, 05:19:35 AM
As mine also broke due to the handles, I eliminated handles on the replacement plexiglass doors and just put finger holes in each end.

Brilliant! Just don't catch your finger in that guillotine.  8)
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP