Bilge Layout

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Does anyone have a link to a diagram that shows the Bilge Layout on a Mark 1 ??

I'm curious about the bilge areas forward of the mast.

From inspection Aft of the Mast are 3 bilge areas - Mast -||- Bilge Float Swtich area -||- Bilge Pump area -||- Aft Bilge area beneath the Water heater

In front of the mast is a single Bilge with 1 keel bolt.

The V-berth has a limber hole that drains aft but does it go to a separate bilge area or does it feed directly into the area directly in front of the mast?

A pic would be great!

Thanks.

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on December 03, 2017, 10:19:06 AM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The V-berth has a limber hole that drains aft but does it go to a separate bilge area or does it feed directly into the area directly in front of the mast?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The latter.

Hard to get a picture, the camera would have to be deep in the bilge facing forward.  IIRC, having had to pull my knotmeter twice this season, it would be hard to see because the hole from under the V berth faces down, which would be the "roof" of the forward bilge area.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

Thanks Stu,
I have a endoscope camera that attaches to my phone and will try to look down the hole from the V-Berth.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Paul : No limber hole in my 1988 C34.  Have never seen an exit into any Mk I C34 fwd bilge!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 03, 2017, 01:40:57 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Have never seen an exit into any Mk I C34 fwd bilge!

Mine drains.  Probably because my knotmeter and depth sounder thru hulls are up there. Others have them further aft.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

If there is a limber hole from under the v-berth to the bilge area, I haven't found it yet on my 1987 MK 1. I have been thinking of ways to address this. Most likely solution is adding a diverter valve to the engine raw water hose before the strainer. When needed, with engine running, attach a hose from the valve to the v-berth. Then rotate the valve to draw the water from the v-berth.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

britinusa

We definitely have a limber hole in the aft end of the V Berth area.

I'm installing a dry bilge system similar to that described in the Mainsheet.

Looks like I'll need to include 4 pickup drains.

Got most of it figured out.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

sailaway

I have a 1986 with no limber hole under the v berth. I usually don't water up there but when I do I have a small bilge pump with a hose into the main bilge. I have a water tank in the v berth one time the inspection port leaked. Charlie

Paulus

I have a 1989 with no limber hole in this area.  Also, no water under the V berth.  If you are getting water in this area, I would address leaking issue.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

britinusa

Our V-berth butt is totally dry.

The reason for asking is because of the dry bilge system would work best if there was a pickup at each area where water might build up.

The space under our V-Berth has a hole in the aft bulkhead, but I didn't know if it went into the bilge area immediately in front of the mast, or if there is an additional bulkhead between.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Jeff Tancock

My 1988 has no limber hole from the forward compartment.
Wouldn't want one after having had a leak once. The area filled part way with water from a slowly leaking knot meter through hole. After filling to the water line it did nothing as it was self contained. Easy to deal with and no big deal. Might have been a bigger deal if it had been draining the whole time and filling the entire interior! Only other time I had water up there was when I had a leak in the fitting for the anchor locker drain. Again totally contained and no big deal to clean up.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Kyle Ewing

I happened to have this picture from my 1990 C34 (#1010), taken from the bilge access by the mast looking forward.  I didn't have a hole but added one because I was adding a drain for my v-berth installed A/C.  I took the picture to make sure I had the clearance not to drill into the hull.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/