New web hosting test

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

:clap  David - a huge thanks to all your efforts keeping this foundational resource so vibrant. Even after I sold my C34, I couldn't keep myself away. Now that I have a C30, I still don't dare miss a single thread update.

Thanks also to the other many contributors who "pen" thoughtful, insightful responses to new and old issues we all encounter.

Craig Illman

David Sanner

Ken,

Email... who knew?   Where do you have email notifications?

I just tested signing up for a new account and email did go out.

Can you please sub/unsub your notifications to see if that help ... test again if there's a way, etc.

thx
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

KWKloeber

Quote from: David Sanner on December 01, 2017, 11:16:27 AM

Ken,

Email... who knew?   Where do you have email notifications?

I just tested signing up for a new account and email did go out.

Can you please sub/unsub your notifications to see if that help ... test again if there's a way, etc.

thx

David

Here (below)

Don't you receive  emails when msgs are posted?
The email came thru on your post below, so maybe the link worked itself out.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

A little tangent to the web site topic, but any idea when will you be updating the Tech WIKI "By Boat Author" section so my boat and associated projects show up? Thanks for the help.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon, Yours (and the others) are here.....

http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Owner_Projects_by_Boat/Author

David,
Did you get my email on the revisions needed to the home page?
== Or if you can temporarily dial me in, I'll make them.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

Yes I've got that link from the October post. When will it be added to the Tech WIKI page?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on December 02, 2017, 09:19:16 AM
Yes I've got that link from the October post. When will it be added to the Tech WIKI page?

Jon

That is a tech wiki page.
That's the new page that the owner projects are be on. See my note to David-we need to modify the main page to  remove what's there and put a link to that owner project page.   
I need to either get David to make that change or give me permission to change the main page.

K

Whiskymac

I don't know whether it's just me ( or my device) but I am unable to open any tech notes prior to 2010 as I get this message

Oops! That page can't be found.
Jeremy Lewis. 1988 C-34 #711. Standard rig, shoal draft
Yanmar  3GM30

David Sanner

Ken I updated the home page linking to the boat/project page on the day you posted about it (Sunday?)

I just updated the 2nd link on the home page to the new Projects page (It had been pointing to the archived/static version from old site)
Here's the old link:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects.html   Are all of these old links in the wiki now and referenced?  If not we should add them to the Projects page

Speaking of archived pages, the Wiki could really use a FAQ page instead of relying on the old (old site/static) FAQ page here: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html     One of these days:  (just  a thought)

Whiskymac, thanks for pointing out missing old tech notes... moved back into place, working on a password issue with them now.

KWKloeber

Quote from: David Sanner on December 06, 2017, 04:04:06 PM

Are all of these old links in the wiki now and referenced?  If not we should add them to the Projects page

THANK YOU David!!

I put only those Boat/Author projects on the new Wiki page (that you link to from the home page) that were previously listed on:

1) The Home Page "Boat/Author"
2) An orphan page that I had located (some boat/author projects were duplicates of those on Home Page.)

I didn't move or try to cross-reference, or check for duplicates on the static projects, against what's on the new Boat/Author projects page.  So, I'm not sure that this statement is correct....
"Note: This FAQ Page is no longer being updated, and is now part of our archives. These projects have all been moved to the Tech Wiki ."

Maybe an individual shout out to each author on the static page and a "HELP! call" to ask them to help populate the new page? Or if the project is already there, notify you to remove it?

ken

KWKloeber

David

On a loosely related topic.... I had started to clean up a lot of those orphans hanging around that you had shown me, and had emailed you the status and a list of which pages you can trash out.  I haven't gone back to verify any of them, but presume you'll get to them "whenever"?

ken

David Sanner

Ken, by clean up the orphaned pages I assume you mean add their links to relevant (higher level) pages?  Sorry, I don't think I got your email.

Looks like there are 43 orphaned pages:  http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:LonelyPages
No big deal ... orphaned just means no other pages in the wiki link to it ... 

For example there was a page titled "Muffler" ... I went to add that to the engine index page and found a page on the exhaust system
which already had the links on the Muffler page and more...  so need need for the Muffler page.  42 orphaned pages.

Couple other updates:

- Passwords on technotes have been fixed (hidden .htaccess -> htpass fully qualified paths)

- Looks like all the wiki based project pages have the links  from the original projects page (Missing Jon Schneider who I believe did a lot of that work - he was a great supporter in getting the wiki up and going!)  Thanks to everyone else who has contributed to it as well over the years.

Finally an update from cutting over to new web hosting service.  Besides a few normal bumps everything went smoothly except the BBS was throwing errors that it couldn't connect to the database from time to time (like several times/hour and kept emailing me).  After server support chat sessions and a few emails I finally spoke with someone on the phone who also couldn't identify the reason but turned on db logging for me to help.  They must have seen/done something else as the issue promptly went away.    So we're good to go!

KWKloeber

Look for the email commin' at you again.

Thanks!!

pablosgirl

David,

Just a FYI.  Since the move to the new web hosting provider,  I am getting a timeout error when posting to the message board.  I have to go back to the message board to confirm that the post did indead go through.  This did not happen before the rehosting.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

pablosgirl

David,

It is a database error that i keep getting and not a timeout error on every post.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP