Soy Diesel

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Gregg

My wife hates the smell of diesel. So I said why not Soy diesel. The cost is more, but you can buy a 55 gallon drum and last a heck of a long time. the smell of french fries sound  quite a bit better than diesel. I have the number of a vendor, but am only concerneed about the rumor of the soy eating some types of rubber. Has anyone tried soy, and is their any info for application with my engine which is the M25xp. Thanks, Aaron

Ted Pounds

Aaron,

Practical Sailor had an excelent write-up on soy diesel in their recent issue.  Find a copy and check it out.  Or better yet get a subscription.  It's like the Consumers Reports for the sailing crowd.  Their web site is www.practical-sailor.com.
Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

PAUL T.

Aaron... A lot has been said about BIO-DIESEL on this website, also search BIO-DIESEL on the internet. There seems to be mostly positive info about the stuff. The biggest negative I've heard is that there is a 10 percent loss in power which we certainly can't afford with our 23hp engines....PAUL

tandm

Here's a link to an interesting paper on bio-diesel and recreational boats:
http://www.cytoculture.com/Biodiesel%20Handbook.htm

td
Peregrine #543

dave davis

This month in Practical Sailor Volime 29 #14 there is a two page report on Soy/Diesel. The title is " BIO-DIESEL: NICE FUEL IF YOU CAN FIND IT...
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach