Gel Coat

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I would like to repaint the 1" white boot strip near the water line.  Would like to hear from those that have done this.  I have the following questions:  1. I would like to use one of those small spray cans that can be pressurized by  Co2 sold at the local ACE hardware store. 2.  Can 2 part paint be used in these and do a nice job. 3. Anyone recommend a 2 part paint.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Mas Tequila

Paul,

Do you happen to have a small air compressor or one you can beg, borrow or steal? If so you might consider a small Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun. I have one of these https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/20-fl-oz-hvlp-gravity-feed-air-spray-gun-62300.html and while I wouldn't use it to try and refinish a car it works pretty well for small jobs. As a matter of fact I intend to use it to refinish my boot stripes in the spring. You will want to make sure your paint is thinned properly but that's easy enough.

We have been thinking of using Pettit's Easypoxy which is a one part topside paint.

At $15.99 you're not out much if you don't clean it well enough using a 2 part paint.

I also get down to the GR area fairly often and I can bring you a compressor and a couple of paint guns to use if you like. Also if you do spray on a finish make sure you mask off an area much larger than you think you will need. Overspray is not your friend.  :shock:
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

KWKloeber

K

What size compressor would you need to that type gun? 
I used to have a complete setup years ago (HVHP  :-)  but sold it eons ago. 
I've been thinking of all the projects I could do with a more modern setup.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

lazybone

Compressors, thinning paint worries, cleaning spray guns, masking off for overspray. 

It's  a 1" stripe.  Tape it off and paint it with a foam brush. 
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Or a foam mini roller from the dollar store.  Complete w/ it's own throw away tray.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

lazybone

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 06, 2017, 09:16:47 PM
Or a foam mini roller from the dollar store.  Complete w/ it's own throw away tray.

Funny. 😊
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Paulus

Has anyone used those small Co2 with sprayer and bottle attached from the a Hardware store.  They are also throw aways.
Does the foam roller leave a smooth finish?
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jim Hardesty

Paul,
I have a couple of thoughts on what you are trying to accomplish.  What is the problem with the original?  Is it stained or painted over with bottom paint?  Where is the current waterline?  Is it well on the bottom paint or will the stripe be under water? 
I think if you can at all go to the original.  Paint peeling can be a problem if it's under water or splashed on for long periods. A good paint job is all about the prep.  The stripe would be a lot of work on a small area.   If it's just stained, there are some waterline stain removers that work well. 
I'm just saying that painting may not work well and be more of a problem in the long run.
And really only fish get close enough to admire the paint finish.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

Thanks, Jim.
It is above the waterline and it has a little staining.  When you state to go to the original, do you mean original gel coat the catalina used?
I have the original and it has not been painted over.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ted Pounds

On mine I used vinyl striping tape.  Very easy and worked great.  I bought the top of the line stuff at West Marine.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jim Hardesty

I think the first thing I would try is "Amazing Roll Off" cleaner.  Also if you aren't going to bottom paint be careful with getting it on the paint.  Check a small area first and possibly mask it off. Per Ted's suggestion,  I have seen others use striping tape successfully.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Paul : I just raised the bottom paint line up so it covered that small 1" white strip!!

Problem solved - can't see it when I'm sailing anyway!!  :clap

A THOUGHT
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Kent, thanks for the offer of using your equipment but that is more than I want to get into.  Jim, will research the product that you suggested.
Thanks for all the suggestions. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on November 07, 2017, 04:24:34 AM
Has anyone used those small Co2 with sprayer and bottle attached from the a Hardware store.  They are also throw aways.
Does the foam roller leave a smooth finish?
Paul

The mini foam rollers are very smooth, I'd say a better/easier job than trying to remove brush/remove stroke marks?  JTSO.  It also depends on the viscosity of the paint, and if it self levels.  Might try an experiment on how much to reduce the paint (2-3%/).  But I would think a roller would be better than a brush either way.

ken

Mas Tequila

Ken,

I use my small Porter Cable pancake compressor for small painting jobs as well as running my air nailers outside of my shop. It won't keep up with large projects but works fine for the small ones. It does have a dryer on it because I don't run any of my air tools without one. I was thinking about spraying our boot stripes because I'm more comfortable with spraying on a finish which I have a pretty fair amount of experience with. I've seen some great jobs that were applied with rolling and tipping but I've never applied a finish using that technique, of course painting boot stripes might be a good place to learn. 
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI