Honda 2000W Gen Set

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

When cruising, we run the engine an hour or so a day to replenish usage by refrigeration and smaller loads.  Using a generator would seem marginally better, but having to store gasoline for it outweighs the benefit. We already store fuel for our lightweight 2 stroke outboard. I don't want change her out for a 4 stroke.

Solar panels on the bimini seems like a good alternative, and it is on my projects to do list.

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

britinusa

Another vote for the Honda EU200i ours is 4 years old.

It runs our AC unit with ease, but add any other load and it's good night (overload) and the generator overload kicks off. If we screw up and, eg. turn on the battery charger, then it will shut down. I simply nip out to the cockpit (I'm most likely in the cool of the cabin even here in SoFla) turn the Generator off briefly, turning it back on before it comes to a stop, so no need to pull the starter again. Power is restored. Coolness returns.

We keep 5 Gallons of Ethanol Free fuel in a covered gas can on the side rail. We also have a 1gallon filler tank can. We fill the 1gal from the 5 gal as it's easier to fill the Honda and our Merc 4hp outboard using the 1 gal tank rather than trying it from the 5 gal tank.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Brad Young

We like our Honda 2000. I guess it really depends on what type of sailing /cruising you do.  We are currently cruising in the sea of Cortez. We are on DarBay about  6-8 months a year. You just never know when or where you may need it.
1) we lost our fresh water pump(on the engine) on the way from San Degio to Cabo. Could not run the engine to run the alternator. We were able to keep going using the Honda to charge the batteries , hot water for showers.
2) this year we lost our exhaust riser. . It took about 6 weeks to get it back running. Because of the Honda we were able to stay out in the Anchorage ( for free ) instead of a $700 dollar a month slip.
3) ours does not fit in the port locker. We place ours just in front of the binnacle. I had a binnacle cover made to cover it.
4)we have run  an AC unit with it. I think it's 9000btu 
5)we have run a heat gun, water heator, Cruise RO 20 gal per hour water maker , hair clippers.
6) it's also our backup to our inverter/ charger it that dies.
7) At first I was afraid of the noise at a quiet anchorage. But soon found out that everyone is running a generator or engine.
8) Wait until you get downwind of someone running his Diesel engine. Not a good smell
9) well worth the money.
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Brad Young

It runs our AC unit with ease, but add any other load and it's good night (overload) and the generator overload kicks off. If we screw up and, eg. turn on the battery charger, then it will shut down. I simply nip out to the cockpit (I'm most likely in the cool of the cabin even here in SoFla) turn the Generator off briefly, turning it back on before it comes to a stop, so no need to pull the starter again. Power is restored. Coolness returns.

Paul
[/quote]

Paul I'm going to try this trick. I always just shut it down and restarted
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

KWKloeber

Dang.
That means you have to actually sleep in skivvies?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain