Honda 2000W Gen Set

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Solar is becoming a viable option. Prices are coming down and styles of panels are constantly improving.  10 years ago did not have all the options available today.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

bayates

Noah,

We use it to top off the batteries.  Ran it once in 8 days as the 200W of solar keep up pretty well. Adding another 100 watt panel in next few weeks. With the new freezer and reefer plus day to day use age should be close to actual usage to recovery.

We do use it to heat water once in a while but we are used to heating water on stove for washing and take shower on shore if available of heat what is needed. I looked at the tankless hw heaters but where do you hang it so not to touch anything, how do you plumb it to feed the water.

Once the next panel is installed I hope the EU2000 is just backup or used during overcast days if too many.

P.S I finished the windlass install and works great.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

chuck53

Just an FYI, my dock neighbor has a 16k BTU A-C unit and he runs it on his Honda 2000.  I never would have thought a 2000 would run that large of an AC, but it does.  I even tried it on my 16k unit and it worked like a charm.  When I first turned on the compressor, the Honda bogged down for just a moment or two and then came right back up and ran my unit fine.

Jim Hardesty

Well.....I ordered one.  Also comes with a $50 gift card.  But, need to join the "advantage" plan for $40 for free shipping.  Still a good deal.  I think.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Kevin : You are right, you can run your $9,000 engine at anchor to charge the batteries or run the $900 Honda  - Your choice!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Hmmm? Interesting argument, Ron. However, my diesel engine doesn't get run enough as is...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

You're right Ron, it's my choice and for 29 years it's worked out pretty well. I'm guessing if Catalina didn't want you using the motor to charge the batteries they wouldn't have setup the boat that way.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Hardesty

I've thought a neat thing would be a PTO shaft off the transmission to drive a gen-set.  That makes a lot more sense to me than most larger boats that have two engines one to drive the boat and one for electric.  And it wouldn't take up much space.  Maybe do like some cars have done and run with only some of the cylinders.
Just one of my pipe dreams.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Kevin : Catalina made the MKI C34 with it's stock alternator and 2 Gp24 batteries - just sufficient for day sailing with out a fridge  -  and/or going from marina to marina.

Any real thought of longer cruising with a fridge requires some big electrical upgrades $$.

Your choice on how you use the boat

Ron, Apache #788

Rortega46

Being in the Deep South, I wonder about using a EU 2000 to run the air conditioner.  Does anyone do this?  If so, is a soft start device required?
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

J_Sail

Running an AC is addressed earlier in the thread. Yes, folks have successfully done so.

mark_53

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 31, 2017, 04:15:18 PM
Kevin : You are right, you can run your $9,000 engine at anchor to charge the batteries or run the $900 Honda  - Your choice!! 

A thought
I suppose a lot depends on where you sail.  Here in the NW air conditioning is not needed so no need for that much AC current when at anchor which IMO is the only reason to have a generator.  I would rather upgrade my alternator and use my $9000 engine to save $900 and dealing with storage, gas, noise and weight of a Honda generator.

Rortega46

For those of you running your AC, microwave,  coffee pot, etc., how do you connect your EU 2000? Is it simply a matter of using a shore power cord to the C34 shore power inlet and pigtail adapter (to male 15A 125V from female 30A 125V) into the generator's output?
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Ron Hill

Randy : Yes, I use an electric #8 gage 6' flat wire extension cord into a 30amp adapter that plugs into the boats shore power plug.  Then all of the boats AC plugs and the Boats' Battery charger are activated.

I set the Honda on a wide garden kneeling pad that takes up any vibration and the Honda is a "hell of a lot quieter' inside than the boat engine for charging. The 1000 burns a minimal amount of fuel and doesn't heat up the main cabin!!
With a smart charger you only need to run the Honda about 30 to 45 minutes which is about the same amount of time it would take with boat engine.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain