Rebedding needed?

Previous topic - Next topic

NewToTheRoad

After my first sailing season with the new boat I notice some staining around the chainplate hardware on the deck.  Oddly, in the sunshine it looks more to be a pink color than anything else.  However due to it's proximity and inability to wash off I am thinking it must be rust staining perhaps from water getting underneath.  Maybe it's time to remove, clean, and re-bed with butyl.  I know that the PO had never done that.  Am I on the right track here?

Thanks!

Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

britinusa

It looks as though the bolts are sunken in to the deck and that water would pool there.

If you do rebed them, you might dig out the core around the bolts and replace with resin and filler and redrill.

Not sure how to get the deck level back up.

I did the rebed job on Eximius just a few months ago, painless.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on October 25, 2017, 07:38:39 AM
1.  It looks as though the bolts are sunken in to the deck and that water would pool there.

2.  If you do rebed them, you might dig out the core around the bolts and replace with resin and filler and redrill.

3.  Not sure how to get the deck level back up.

4.  I did the rebed job on Eximius just a few months ago, painless.

1.  The bolts are countersunk.  If sealed properly, H2O shouldn't get in.

2.  Until you remove them, you won't know.  Mine were fine.

3.  You don't have to.  The cover plate is the barrier.  See Chainplates 101, link to pictures I took of my rebedding.

Chainplate Rebedding 101 - with Bed It with Butyl from Maine Sail

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7265.msg49430.html#msg49430

4.  Painless is right!  :clap  One at a time, easy.

Any specific questions, please ask.  You might also consider using FSR on the stains.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mark Sutherland

Since the boat is new to you, I'd want to know the condition of the deck core at the chain plate penetrations.  Remove the cover and chain plates and inspect the core.  If wet or rotted, you'll need to address this.  There is at least one good article on inspecting, remediating, and potting/sleeving/sealing the chain plate penetrations with epoxy, which a good investment in your deck core life and your piece of mind.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Paulus

Would follow the advice on rebidding and inspecting the core.  There should be a lot of brown(rust)color below the deck.  I think the the brown color is coming from your rigging. Just a thought.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Phil Spicer

Don't forget to inspect rigging, top to bottom. You may want to think about using large fender washers to spread the compression load.
Just a thought
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Mark Sutherland

To add to Phil's advice on the fender washers, be sure to not overtighten the chain plate bolts.  The shrouds and the chain plate anchors are doing most of the mechanical work.  The chain plate bolts more or less "position" the chain plate only so no need to overtighten and unnecessarily crush the decking and core.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170