Posting photos from iPhone

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue Clancy

I ran across an issue that I guess I never realized before.  You can't post pictures from your iphone or ipad to the forum.  You would need to get those pictures to your computer and then upload them which is rather inconvenient for me.  Usually on the boat I don't have my computer so I would have to wait to get home to do this.

I think there is a solution that would require an add in to the Simple Machines forum that is being used.  It's called Tapatalk.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapatalk
  With it you would use an app to see the forum.

Dave Sanner - Web Admin would need to add this.  Since I am a pretty infrequent user of the forum at this point, I thought I would get input from others on whether this is desirable before I go back to Dave to discuss.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

KWKloeber

REVISED 11 am:

Sue, I posted on this before. The photo below is directly from my iPhone.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9215.msg73013.html#msg73013

Yah.  Picture below is right from my iPhone 6S, native picture format taken long ago.

SMF 2.0 (or the auto resizer plug-in?) is looking for a JPG file extension, not JPEG which some phones seem to store w/ that extension.  Worse, Apple hides all the file info so that we don't know what extension was used, no less be able to change it. Even worse, iOS 11 uses the newer HEIF format (unless the user changes settings back to "Most Compatible", which then uses JPEG.) 

The app ViewEXIF - Displays ALL THE the photo file information.  Seamless, just select the pic and tap a button while right in your photo collection.  At least that way I know what I'm dealing with (extension, size, etc etc.).

The JPEG issue seems dumb because all we need do is rename the file extension to JPG and then SMF will accept it, so the uploader should accept that file extension in the first place.  Could there me a plug-in or switch to turn on to recognize that extension?  Seems that would have been an issue when JPEG came into use?  The HEIF is a different animal, although it, too has also been in use before.

I email a phone pic to myself (6s, iOS 10) it will usually change the extension to from JPEG to JPG or PNG --  my phone has a mind of its own what format it chooses. Trying that and then re-saving it to the album may work .  It does for me (iOS 10,) but I can't say what happens in iOS 11.

I have also found that No uploading to DROPBOX or DRIVE will change the extension from JPEG to JPG, don't know about HEIF.

So
1. is it the SMF uploader or the auto file resizer that's blowing up?
2. Is there a different one a or switch to flip to recogiizes JPEG?  HEIF?
3.?

k

PS:  The app Resize It - saves back a COPY in JPG format (for me anyway, iOS 10, iPhone 6S) 
VERY easy way to CROP and/or RESIZE a pic.  If I want to rename a JPEG --> JPG (not resize), I just change the size by one digit (e.g., 2048 pixels --> 2047).  No uploading to the cloud or down to my PC.  I don't know what it will do on iOS 11, or with an HEIF image.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Ken- I didn't figure you to be a pink polkadot kind'a guy?  :shock: 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on October 25, 2017, 08:02:46 AM
Ken- I didn't figure you to be a pink polkadot kind'a guy?  :shock: 8)

Jus trying to keep miss Isla-Jean, the real (not Rear) Admiral happy!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Sue Clancy

I'll give your suggestions a try, thanks
Sue and Brian Clancy

Sue Clancy

So I just gave Ken's approach a try.  - Unsuccessfully on my phone.

Some issues

1- Resize it is almost non functional on IOS 11 which I stupidly upgraded to prematurely. Usually by the 3rd patch release Apple figures out most of the bugs but not so in this case.  Basically I can't get at the options on the top for done/cancel because they are too close to the top edge of the screen.  I did get to it once and then saved my photo but it kept the jpeg extension - didn't change to jpg

2- If the issue is just the file extension allowed, Dave Sanner should be able to add .jpeg to the allowable extensions and this will resolve the issue.

3 - File size - I thought Dave had made some adjustments to automatically resize the attachments?  Thought I read that in another post while trying to figure out how to upload from my phone. 
Sue and Brian Clancy

Sue Clancy

I just was chatting with Dave Sanner on another topic and asked him about this.  He added jpeg to the allowable extensions and now just like that we can upload photos from the iphone!  And with the resizing thing, no need to mess around with these other tools.

Thanks to Ken for pointing me at the underlying issue.

Sue
Sue and Brian Clancy

KWKloeber

Quote from: Sue Clancy on October 25, 2017, 10:36:54 AM

IOS 11 which I stupidly upgraded to prematurely.

I have been playing hide 'n seek w/ the upgrade with a passion.  Last night she got more aggressive, not asking me if I wanted to upgrade, demanding I leave the phone plugged in overnight..... I thought it might install if I breathed the wrong way on the screen!

Sue, do you have a HEIF pic saved to try to upload?  I'm **hoping* that 11 will change it to JPEG when uploading.  If not I can try one on Jan's phone tonite.

The auto reziser is sometimes clunky, balking when I upload a couple large files, so I have to break up the post, or manually resize them.  I haven't narrowed it down to a specific set of circumstances (yet.)
WAY TO GO on the FIX!

Noah

Test from iPhone IOS 11.03
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Sue Clancy

Here is one that is theoretically in the HEIF forant.

I don't have any pets to take photos of so this will have to do.
Sue and Brian Clancy