2nd Manual Bilge Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

I mentioned in another post that a PO had installed a 2nd Manual Bilge Pump.

Here's some pics of the Pump location.
The hoses run from the Aft Bilge (adjacent to the Hot Water tank area) to the pump and from the pump to the Aft locker where it 'T's into the existing Manual Pump hose.

1st Pic shows the mounting screws on the aft face of the shower seat

Remaining pics show the pump install.

Yes! I'm going to clean up that area when I pull the boat out in December for a Butt job.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

scgunner

Interesting addition, not sure why your PO felt the need for two manual pumps especially since it's pumping through the existing hose, but I guess when things start turning brown you can't have to many pumps. The PO of my boat also did some "interesting" additions to my boat but fortunately he only owned it for a little over a year, so he didn't have that much time to "improve" the boat.

You know what might make an interesting and possibly entertaining thread would be "things the PO did to my boat".
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Paul- seems especially odd to me if your PO wanted the pump in that location, why he didn't turn it around and have the handle come out into the head, using the standard Whale through-the-bulkhead mount with its included waterproof cover plate, same as in cockpit? Much easier to work pump from in the head compartment, than opening the door, reaching inside (backwards) and pumping with all that spaghetti in there (while in a "sinking" emergency).
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

I too wondered about the location, especially as the PO didn't use the Shower as a Shower.
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

scgunner

We haven't used our head shower for years. We found it to be way to much trouble, you have to shower, drain, shower, drain and then wipe the whole head down afterwards. Nowadays we just shower on the back of the boat, much easier and quicker.
      Just curious, are you going to keep that add on bilge pump in the head? If you do you might want to see if you can pump through the aft bilge pump.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Guys : I mentioned it before, but I ran a 5/8" hose into the bilge from the compartment under the head sink.
If I need another bilge pump - I connect the engine raw water intake (After closing the thru hull!!) and connect it to that hose and the "engine" becomes another bilge pump!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Ron,

Very creative, do you have it permanently attached with a valve or do you disconnect and connect to run the setup?

Ron Hill

Kevin : I run a dry bilge (Gore dripless packing) so that 5/8" hose with an adapter is there as a "Just in case"!! 
Sure beats plumbing in a second bilge pump!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

I'm surprised that the engine raw water pump draws that much that it's a worthy bilge pump.

Currently, we tracking down a wet bilge, so far most likely candidate is from inside the mast.

Today I dried the bilge ( ≈2" of water, bilge pump had not yet ran) then placed paper towel around the sides of the dry bilge and also tapped an open poly bag on the aft face of the mast foot just below a hole that I drilled in the mast directly above the foot flange. If water does run out of the mast then it will collect in the bag before overflowing into the bilge.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Noah

Just taste it. Ocean is salt, rain is fresh...
Standard Rig

britinusa

Quote from: Noah on October 29, 2017, 07:46:30 PM
Just taste it. Ocean is salt, rain is fresh...

And Canal water is really really really yucky!

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ed Shankle

Off topic a bit, but since Ron brought up the dry bilge...
Definitely need to get more detail on how Ron has sealed up his mast. While I get some water in the aft most bilge compartment from the packing gland, I get a good amount of fresh water from the mast. I know that for certain, as I keep a small bucket in the bilge compartment just aft of the mast step and have a piece of tarp taped to the step top and other end resting in the bucket. That bucket will get filled after a good storm. My mast spinnaker halyard entrance is taped shut, so no funneling effect. I've assumed it is due to wicking from the halyards and some from the radar and steaming light wires mast entrances. The latter are fairly snug in bushings though. Anchor light base is caulk sealed.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Noah

Paul- just hold your nose and go for it!  Your wife's a nurse, right? :D
Standard Rig

scgunner

Paul,

Yes using the raw water pump as a bilge pump you can move an impressive amount of water, also by using the throttle you can match GPH to your needs, however you have to be careful not to run the pump dry as you can burn up the impeller pretty quickly.

scgunner

Paul,

You don't actually have to take a swig, just touch it with your tongue, if it's salt you'll know it. Then rinse.