Spinnaker

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

I have just been given a Spinnaker, possibly originally intended for a C36.

The Foot appears to be 27' and the Leaches (do we call them leaches?) are 45'

It's symmetrical, and seems in pretty good shape, a couple of patches less than 3" square each.

We have the Spinnaker Crane at the mast head with spin halyard. We have outer tracks on each side and I have a selection of blocks and lines that I could use but only a 12' whisker pole, no spinnaker pole.

I'm considering using the sail as a Cruising Spinnaker and am guessing I'll have to cut it down.

Eximius is a Tall Rig Fin Keel Mk 1.

Any suggestions (and you know I've spent hours already scanning the archives here  :shock:)

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Dave Spencer

Paul,
I too was given a symmetrical spinnaker almost exactly the same size as the one you have - except I have a standard rig.  It's 1.5 oz instead of 0.75 oz so it's a heavy beast to hoist but in the right conditions, we have a lot of fun flying it as an asymmetrical spinnaker.  We tend to fly it when reaching in a zephyr. It gets a little exciting if the wind goes over 10 kts. since I don't have a sock to douse it.  I need to improve my tack arrangement which is very primitive at the moment. I usually cleat the tack line to the bow cleat.  I have port and stbd cleats on my Mk 1.5.  I think some have one centre line bow cleat  which would not be as useful. 
I would skip the pole and give it a try and in very light air and see how much fun it can be.
Pictures are taken by a friend while cruising in Frazer Bay in the North Channel of Georgian Bay.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

NewToTheRoad

Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

britinusa

Thanks Dave, Great Pics (we need more from everyone!)

On my last boat I attached the tack to the pulpit rail but won't risk that on Eximius. We also had a sock and snuffer and that made a HUGE difference in handling the spinnaker. I'm making one for this sail.

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP