New Sails

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck West

I am getting ready to purchase a new 155 Genoa and Asymmetrical Spinnaker mainly for cruising but also some club racing. Have a tall rig with fin keel.  What type of sails would be competetive on the race course and also durable cruising sails.  I am thinking of Dacron for the Genoa but wonder if I will sacrifice performance compared to some of the new laminates. Anyone have any experience with Ullman Sails Ventura.

PAUL T.

Chuck, ULLMAN sails is a good outfit, Gary Swensen is the owner, Gary Swensen is also in charge of the sail loft at the Catalina factory in Woodland Hills. He would be the man to talk to.

dave davis

What Sails to buy, is a good question...All I can say is that I sold my Dacron and bought a Mylar 155% and I am a happy racer...You will be using your 155 in lighter winds so you need a lighter sail with less stretch. Mylar is worth the few extra bucks.
Good luck...
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Chuck West

Dave:  Who built your mylar 155?  Is it on a roller furler with uv protection?

dave davis

Chuck, my 155% is not on a roller furl and it has no UV protection. My 130% has both and was made by www.pineapplesails.com just like all my sails. I can use my 155 when racing PHRF and I use my 130% when racing in class with fleet one here in San Francisco.
Dave...
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach