Tech WIKI

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

Now that Sue has moved on, who do we contact for questions about adding content, links, etc in the Tech Wiki? Thanks for the help.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon

I think i might do more editing than adding fresh content. So  because I do it so relatively dis-often I usually find something  I posted previously that "works."   Then cut and paste the code, and change it to what I need "new."

I'll be glad to help anyway that I can.   What's your specific questions, it would probably help us all to hear see some discourse on this.

K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Sure Ken.

1) There's a section that you can list your boat name with all of your project write ups linked to it to make things easier to find. How do I add my boat name to the existing list and link all my write ups to it?

2) How do I create a link in a write up to another write up in the Tech Wiki?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ken Juul

In the box at the top of the wiki is a how to guide.  print it out and follow the instructions.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on October 21, 2017, 09:08:46 PM
Sure Ken.

1) There's a section that you can list your boat name with all of your project write ups linked to it to make things easier to find. How do I add my boat name to the existing list and link all my write ups to it?

Jon
Are you are referring to the list on the middle of the wiki home page?

http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

2) How do I create a link in a write up to another write up in the Tech Wiki?

Jon

There's a couple things going on:

1. Adding your projects to the list of boat projects.
2. Creating that NEW wiki page (there is more than one way.)
3. Linking your new page (there's different ways and different text displayed to readers)
4. Linking to a page from another page.

Here's you go:

(1) Adding your projects to the list of boat projects.

You can't add it to the list on the page that I linked to above -- (for good reason) the Main Page (titled "Catalina 34") isn't editable to us.  I know, it's a glitch because that page suggests that members add their info.  I'll ck with Dave about making that happen.  I have a couple suggestions how to do that.

There's another Wiki topic "Misc" that has some owner projects (not to be confused with the Wiki topic "Miscellaneous" that also lists a few projects.)  Confusing?  I'll ask Dave about that also.

If you temporarily put the link to your page/projects on the "Misc" page, we could consolidate them later.

(2) Creating a NEW wiki page (there is more than one way.)
(I think you already know how to do this, but am posting this for everyone.)

First, of course you  have to be in the edit version (not WordPress version).

There's 2 easy peazy ways I do it:

a) Search for your new page name.  Say using "New Page" in the search box.  If "New Page" doesn't exist then WackyWiki asks if you want to create it.  Note that apparently page names must be capitalized (so "s/v Della Jean" would be problematic.)

b) Start the process on the page you want to link FROM.
Once you create the link to "New Page", SAVE and click on the "New Page" link.  The page doesn't exist, so WackyWiki asks if you want to create it.

(3) and (4) Linking to any page from another page (or pages.)

Open the "Misc" wiki page below that has some projects  listed.  I put examples of creating links on that page.
http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Misc

Once you create the link, you can copy/past the same code onto any other page.  For instance, to link to your electrical upgrade, just paste the text below onto another page.

[[1987 MK 1 Catalina 34 Electrical System Upgrade]] Add A Description If Desired

Note many (not all) wiki pages use bullet lists (as on the electrical page), leading the link with an asterisk turns it into a bullet list. So, e.g.

*[[1987 MK 1 Catalina 34 Electrical System Upgrade]] Add A Description If Desired

displays:

• 1987 MK 1 Catalina 34 Electrical System Upgrade Add A Description If Desired

That's for Wiki page links, to link to a webpage or to a forum page that's a different lesson.   :D
MediaWiki is quite flexible in that content created on the Wiki (a text page or saved media files (like a photo or a PDF)) is just saved in the vapor -- it doesn't exist under any particular page, even though you added it or display it on a page.  So, you can link to any of your or anyone's content (a page, a photo, a PDF, etc.) from anywhere else without a long URL address.

There's general MediaWiki help here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents (though it is TMI)

C34 Wiki help here:
http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Plain_language_%22How_to_Wiki%22_guide  (but it's somewhat outdated after some software upgrades)

And help using/creating links, formatting, etc. on the editing toolbar (pic below.)

let me know if you have more questions....

k

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

I'm referring to the section entitled "by Boat/Author"
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on October 22, 2017, 04:09:28 PM
I'm referring to the section entitled "by Boat/Author"

yes, that's on the Main Page, which is protected and we cannot edit (no "Edit" link at the top of that page when in edit mode.)  Meanwhile put your project master list where I showed and we can move it.

k

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 22, 2017, 03:14:31 PM

Jon
Are you are referring to the list on the middle of the wiki home page?

http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Great writeup.  Well written.

Have you considered simply posting this as a "How To" on the wiki?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Thanks Stu.

Yep. On the page where I temporarily stuck my examples, I originally had my example new page titled "TechWikiTips" (unique if doing a search).   Then I saw that (maybe Dave?) already had a "how to" page.  I'll probably consolidate the post and wiki examples in there.

K

Jon W

Thanks Ken. Using the chain icon in the menu makes adding a link to one project from another in the Tech WIKI very easy. I'd seen the icon before, but for whatever reason it never registered in my head that it was the way to create the link.  :shock:

Is this correct - to consolidate my projects under me as Boat/Author in that section, I need to ask to have the top level link made. Once it's made I list my projects under it using the chain icon.

You mentioned suggesting to David, is that David Sanner? Little by little things are moving from the back of the mind to the front.   :?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on October 23, 2017, 01:28:44 PM

Is this correct - to consolidate my projects under me as Boat/Author in that section, I need to ask to have the top level link made. Once it's made I list my projects under it using the chain icon.

You mentioned suggesting to David, is that David Sanner? Little by little things are moving from the back of the mind to the front.   :?

Jon

I presume what you want to do (or maybe have already done) is create a "master" page that lists your individual projects and links the project write ups?  Go ahead and do that if you haven't already.

No, there's nothing you can do right now to link to a master page from the Main Page.  Creating any links or otherwise won't help you.  We just need to get those Boat/Author projects to a page that is not locked down.

I have an email to Dave (Sanner) on that and other Wiki stuff.

As I had suggested, in the meantime if you create your "master" projects page for Della Jean, just put a link to on the "Misc" page (just like the other projects on that page.) 

http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Misc

When we get a location for Projects that members can edit, we can consolidate them, including yours.

k

Jon W

I've done 4 project write ups and will be doing some more. I like the idea of the boat/author section and would like to add my name to the list. I don't know what is meant by a master index that it says to add to your projects.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

If you click on a boat/author on that page, it opens a page with a "master list" of each one's projects.   I presume you're going to do (or have already created) a "master" page that lists your individual projects, and links to them?  correct?

K

Jon W

Who do I contact to add Della Jean to the Boat/Author section?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on October 23, 2017, 03:49:22 PM
My first question, how do I add Della Jean to the Boat/Author section? Reading the description it sounds like I can add to the list, but it doesn't seem to allow that.

JON!!  Already asked and already answered twice.   Until changes are made to the Wiki, (already underway)    YOU CANNOT add to that list.  Period.

My first reply:
Quote from: KWKloeber on October 22, 2017, 03:14:31 PM

(1) Adding your projects to the list of boat projects.

You can't add it to the list on the .......  Main Page (titled " Catalina 34")    I know, it's a glitch because that page suggests that members add their info .  I'll ck with Dave about making that happen.

Quote from: Jon W on October 23, 2017, 03:49:22 PM
My second question, what is the master index? Is it a list of links to my projects?

Asked and answered:
Quote from: KWKloeber on October 23, 2017, 03:21:38 PM
If you click on a boat/author on that page (the MAIN PAGE), it opens a page with a "master list" of each one's projects. 

From the Main Page: "Are you a "projects" person? Or is your boat one? Then add a "master index" page to all your projects. We do not require any specific minimum but would prefer at least 4 or 5 on your list."

What doesn't compute about that write up?

Do you already have a page with your 4 projects listed and links to them? 
If so, what's the page name? 
If not CREATE ONE, and for now, put a link to that page on this page: http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Misc   Under PROJECTS (just like the other authors did on that page.) 

We'll get the glitch fixed and the Boat/Author lists consolidated on another page **very soon**

I'm kinda at a loss how I can say this more clearly?  Help me understand the issue?!?

k