want a cradle

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

we need to buy a cradle for our c34 in detroit.  where does one find one?  thanks

becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Fred Koehlmann

Here in Ontario, most of them get built by the Marine Cradle Shop. Just looking around our marina, I'd say about 80% of the cradles have the stamp on them. No harm in giving them a call, since youre  not that far away.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

KWKloeber

becki if you have a custom cradle fabricated IIWMB I would have it made with infinitely adjustable screw jack pads.  I added screw jacks to my uprights (bought only the Acme thread and adjuster handles from Brownell, and adapted them to my pads) and I would never go back.

Doesn't the boatyard use any local welders for work?

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

no, our boat yards are kind of a mess right now

Fred Koehlmann

I forgot to mention that we had the  Marine Cradle Shop build it new for our C34, and had them deliver it to the marina in Midland, ON. Of course I  forgot how much  it cost us,... that's the admirals area.

Our current C425 came with a Marine Cradle Shop cradle. They have the spec.s for pretty much every pleasure craft you can think of. We've no complaints.

anaisdog

great to know!  and is my husband "the admiral"?

:-)

Ron Hill

Becki : Ask a Catalina dealer in your area and he my be able to find one from a past factory delivery.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Quotewe need to buy a cradle for our c34 in detroit.  where does one find one?

Hope you have found something.  Time is running out this far north.  First check with the boat yard you are going to store in.  Most have used stands to sell or rent.  Also think if you want a cradle or jack stands.  Advantages to both, both work.  Many boat yards and clubs will not store cradles due to storage limitations. If you need to make a cradle the design is in your owners manual or in the manuals section here.  Any welding shop should be able to make one.  Last resort call Al at Freeman Eckley in Vermilion OH 440-967-0260 I think that's your closest Catalina dealer.

Please post when you get something

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

patrice

Hi,
As Jim mention, there is a drawing in the manual.  Take it to a local welding shop and they will be able to give you a manufacturing price.
Then call a transport company to have it delivered to the marina.  Even some towing guys with there flat bed could transport.

The marina cannot rent you jack stand.  Most of the marina here have them and rent them for the winter time.
The beauty of stand.  Are easier to bring them to  different marina if you decide to change the next year.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

anaisdog

I am using one now, from an abandoned C34 but now someone is stating it's theirs

Jim Hardesty

So.  Problem solved till next fall.   :thumb:  I wouldn't be concerned much with the "someone stating it's theirs"  Talk to the yard boss.  It's his call I think.  It's not like there is a big market for used cradles.  Our yacht club will only store with jack stands or trailers due to the summer storage and limited winter yard storage.  People who join and have a cradle mostly end up cutting the cradle up for scrap.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

anaisdog

tell that to "the admiral".  he's the one freaking out about it.

:-)

Jim Hardesty

Perhaps the "someone stating it's theirs" could be bought off with a case of beer or cheep liquor. IMHO an abandoned cradle isn't worth any more.  Or just talk it over with the yard boss and get his input.  That's what I would do.
Then there is always the option to go south next winter  :D
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Fred Koehlmann

I'm not clear on what "from an abandoned C34" means. If the "abandoned C34" is still around, and if someone says the cradle is theirs then is the C34 really abandoned? If however the boat is trashed and the cradle is left over, then what the heck, offer to buy it! But if you're on someone elses cradle and they are asking for it back, then I can understand your predicament.

As the others have also posted, usually the marina can have a way to help out with stands or other "abandoned" cradles.

anaisdog

yeah, boat is gone and cradle was left behind. i'm letting the admiral handle buying it, if it really is this person's.  or we'll have one made.

personally, i don't really care and i'm the one up there doing all the work :-)