Fresh water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

I was out for the last sail on Saturday. Motored out of Salem Harbor, shut down engine and waited for a breeze, nothing, ocean flat, so started up engine, M25, and after a few seconds heard a very loud screech sound from down below, shut down engine. Went below to check out engine compartment, started engine and saw that the pulley on the fresh water pump was not spinning. Shut off engine, tried to free pulley, no go. Hailed TowBoat US and got tow back to mooring. Took off pump, bearing most have seized, not bad, lasted 30+ years. Earlier in the season I replaced the HX and raw water pump. Yesterday had to get towed to marina for winter storage, fortunately I paid for unlimited towing so n/c. It is worth the extra money to get towing included, in fact, just renewed membership and upgraded to gold. Off to Hanson Marine in Marblehead for new pump, nipple and gasket plus new belt. Will install next weekend, long with winterization proceedure. Moral of sad story is that after 30 or so years, mechanical parts will fail and most important, up your coverage for unlimited towing, $151- a year thru BoatUS is a bargin. Season is now over. 
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

KWKloeber

Just FYI,

a new Kubota "Westerbeke" painted pump is $385 (+ gasket.)
a new genuine Kubota painted pump is $99 (+ gasket.) 
a new Kumar Bros aftermarket unpainted pump w/gasket is $39, free shipping.

Rattle cans of primer and bronze paint are cheap.

Save your old hose nipple, in case the new one doesn't have it included.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on October 16, 2017, 11:44:43 AM
Part numbers?

TechWiki, Kubota D-850 block parts manual. 
The bypass connections differ on some tractor engines, so the new pump usually doesn't come with the hose nipple we need.  That's extra, easy to use the old one. 
I can pull all the P/Ns tonite.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jeff Kaplan

I bought a new Universal pump #300203, nipple # 301519, gasket # 300204. Paid the $385- oh well, but it's new with warranty and it was in stock, same price as Toad Marine.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

KWKloeber

Just fyi Toad cannot sell in your location due to Westerbeke territories.

patrice

Hi,

Do search here and will find the P/N.
Same thing append to me 4 years ago.
Big skweeaaakkkkkk sound.  Which is scary...

HAd found all PN here and phone number.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Paulus

Are the pumps on the M25 and M25XP the same?  We had this happen in Erie, PA in 2005.  The local Kubota dealer ordered a new one from the factory in Wisconsin and received it in 3 days, with casket and nipple for $94.00.  Ken's price is probably accurate. This was delivered to the boat.  Need to find a Kubota dealer that will order one for you.
Paul
I do have the numbers on the packaging but not sure if they would be helpful
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Yes they are the same.

"Probably accurate...."?? -:)

sailaway

Bought one threw a Kubota parts warehouse for around $79 + shipping came with a gasket. Some times the ones from universal don't come with a gasket. Plus they are $399 Charlie

patrice

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mark_53

Quote from: Jeff Kaplan on October 16, 2017, 11:21:20 AM
Hailed TowBoat US and got tow back to mooring...most important, up your coverage for unlimited towing, $151- a year thru BoatUS is a bargin. Season is now over.

You might want to check your boat insurance policy. Mine offers towing to the nearest port anywhere in the US (Amica).  No need to spend extra for BoatUS.